Chapter 5, Part 3

Ariella's P. O. V:

"Tell him what you told me," Uther says to Geoffrey of Monmouth sternly, as I stand outside the throne room, my ear pressed to the door as I listen in. Geoffrey of Monmouth had discovered Lancelot's fake seal.

The old librarian says unwaveringly, "These credentials are faked. The seal itself is flawless. A forgery of the highest possible standard, but a forgery it must be. There is no record of a fifth son of Lord Aldridge of Northumbria. Therefore, he—"

"Lied," Uther says coldly. "Do you deny it?" There's a pause as no doubt Lancelot is shaking his head.

"No, Sire."

Uther tells him in a cold tone, "You've broken the First Code of Camelot. You've brought shame upon yourself and upon us. You're not worthy of the knighthood bestowed upon you. You never were, and you never will be. Get him out of my sight."

I step away from the doors as they open and the guards haul Lancelot away. I struggle to hold back the tears as I watch them disappear around the corner.

I make my way for the dungeon, nodding to the guard standing watch. He nods back once in respect. I stop outside Lancelot's cell, resting my hands on the cold metal bars. Lancelot sits against the left wall, and looks up when he hears me approach.

"I have no words," I murmur.

"You're not to blame, Your Highness," He says, shaking his head.

"Yes, I am. Merlin and I pushed you. We made you lie."

"The choice was mine," He says firmly, resting an arm on his knee. "The punishment is mine to bear, and mine to bear alone. Not yours, and not Merlin's."

My heart swells with warmth at that. I murmur, "I think—no, I know, Lancelot, that one day, when Arthur is king, he will make you a knight of Camelot. He is not like his father. I just wish there was something I can do."

"There is. You can stop blaming yourself. And tell Merlin the same thing."

Lancelot and I exchange smiles, until I had to leave.

"How is he?" Asks Merlin the moment I return.

"A lot better than we initially thought," I reply, winking at him.

"That's good." Merlin still didn't smile. "But it was still my fault. It was my idea to make the fake seal in the first place." I let out a sigh and take his hand in mine.

"Lancelot requested me to tell you not to blame yourself. He told me the exact same thing. So, you need to keep your chin high, and move forward."

Merlin smiles as he says, squeezing my hand, "Okay, you're right."

"Aren't I always?" I smile teasingly at him.

"Forgive me for interrupting," Says Gaius, gaining our attention, and we walk over to him, "but you three need to look at this. I've realised my mistake. I've been looking for the creature in the wrong place. The records of all known living things in the kingdom. And then I thought, what of the creatures only recorded in legend, in myth? And I discovered this." He removes his gloved hands from the book and we see a creature with the head and wings of an eagle and the body of a lion.

I whisper in recognition, pointing to the picture, "That's it! That's the monster! The griffin!"

We look up as the bell tolls before going to the window. We see the people in the courtyard screaming and running away as the monster swoops above the ground.

 We see the people in the courtyard screaming and running away as the monster swoops above the ground