Chapter 57 - The Boys' Surprise

Mum came home to find us dripping wet and 'Dainting', this was the word we chose to use to mean dance-painting.

"I'm not even going to ask." she said, handing out berry smoothies as a treat for painting the fence.

We all laughed and decided to go for a walk around the woods. We headed of down the road just in time to see Hayes rushing from the cafe down the road, holding a steaming cup of coffee and scuttling along dressed entirely in black and looking at the ground as he walked.

"Hey Hayes!" I called, causing his head to jerk upwards and revealing his puffy red eyes, chapped lips and unkept hair.

He looked at me for a moment, then his eyes averted from each of us before he rushed passed us, nudging us with his elbows as he did.

"What's his problem?" Ally asked, clearly irritated.

"Ally." Cam said, looking at Nash and telling her to shut up with his eyes.

"Hey Nash, Sorry, I didn't mean it." She told him sincerly.

"Yeah, sure whatever, I'm gonna wait out here, could someone get me a coffee please?" he said, sitting down on one of the outside chairs and taking out his phone.

"I'm gonna talk to him, could you get me a hot chocolate, please?" I whispered to Ally, who nodded and headed inside, still looking over at us with concern written all over her face.

I stood opposite from Nash, looking down at him, not sure on how I was going to start the conversation.

"I just don't know what to do Millie." He told me, shaking me from my thoughts, "He just got so depressed so fast, he won't eat or talk and I'm nearly certain he's not sleeping. I feel like he died in that car crash as well."

He looked up at me, his eyes shining with tears and his lip drawn down at the edges; he looked absolutley defeated.

"Hey, don't talk like that!" I told him, moving nearer to him and wrapping my arms around his neck so he had to look at me. "He's a kid that made a mistake, he's upset and feeling guilty but he'll get over it, Nash. He just needs time. He's okay. We all are."

I kissed him then and he pulled me onto his lap, hiding his face in my hair whilst his arms wrapped around my waist. I didn't know what else to say or do to help him so I just held him close and told him repeatedly that it'd be okay, because deep down, I thought it would be.

When Ally and Cam did eventually return holding our drinks, Nash seemed to have cheered up, but I gripped his hand, just to be sure.

We walked and talked for ages with Cam leading the way, when I finally realised where we were headed.

"Cameron, why are you taking us to the shopping centre?" I asked, genuinley confused by why a teenage boy would ever enjoy shopping with two girls.

Cam looked expectantly at Nash "Should we tell them?" he asked.

"Tell us what?" Ally demanded. The boys both ignored her.

"We might as well, or they won't know what they're dressing up for."

"Guys, just tell us already!"

"Well, Cam and I decided to-" Nash began.

"-Have a double date!" Cam finished.

"If you wanted to of course." Nash added.

"And we will pay for the dresses but we don't want to see them till later, so you girls have the next couple of hours to shop." Cam said smiling excitedly.

"Are you serious?" I asked, my enthusiasm growing every second.

"one hundred and ten percent!" Nash replied, grinning.

I walked towards him, about to hug him when Ally grabbed my arm.

"YOU'RE WASTING VALUABLE MOMENTS. SAVE YOUR NASH LOVIN' FOR LATER." She told me as she dragged me away from the laughing boys and towards the clothes stores with Cam's bankcard held tightly in her hand.