Chapter 40

(Arts by @hakjki92 on twitter) 

"She just doesn't understand, she still sees me as a kid," Sakuto complained to his best friend. Well, his only friend actually.

Mirai looked at his right, to Sakuto, with a small smile that she tried to repress. She knew she shouldn't laugh at him when he was clearly bothered, but she just found his whining funny. Especially his cute irritated expression.

"C'mon," she said, tilting her head, making Sakuto huff even more "I'm sure it's not that. Your mother is just worried about you. It is called the Forest of Death for a reason, you know" she added with a teasing smirk which made Sakuto roll his eyes.

"It's the chunin exams, how can it be so hard? There are chunin in the village that are so much worse than I am"

"Egotistical much?" this time it was Mirai who rolled her eyes.

"Besides, my sensei himself said we could be taking them soon. That means he believes I can pass" Sakuto kept complaining.

"I'm pretty sure he meant your team, Sakuto. The team you've been complaining about ever since you were assigned to them"

"It's not my fault and you know that" Sakuto answered, now looking at her with an offended expression "I only tried to help them and all they did was leave me out of everything. It's not my fault if they don't want to accept their mistakes"

"Sakuto," Mirai called him, stopping him from his shoulder "this is exactly why people think you're a conceited jerk" she added, pinching the bridge of her nose while she let go of a sigh "Look, I know you only want to help people to get better. But your approach is a little... rude, you could say. No one likes to have their mistakes pointed out, especially if that someone is a new ninja that is way younger than the rest"

"Well, that's their problem. Not mine" Sakuto shrugged and kept walking, making Mirai sigh exasperated.

"It is also mine if I'm going to be the one listening to your rants"

"Fine, I won't bother you anymore with them then" Sakuto huffed in annoyance, shoving his hands deep into his pockets.

"I didn't mean it like that. But your father is right, you are a team. And if you want to take the exams you will need to work with your team, as a team" she said, but Sakuto remained silent "Try it at least, okay? Don't make any comments about what they do unless they ask you. Yeah?" Sakuto looked at her for a couple of seconds from the corner of his eyes and then nodded slightly, but not without letting go of a sigh.

"Do you know when you will be assigned to your team?" Sakuto asked her now, remembering how she had been so excited a couple of days ago because she had managed to pass the genin exam and would now "catch up to him".

"In a couple of days. I hope I get a cool sensei" she beamed excitedly again "Thanks, by the way. It was thanks to you that I could nail the exam" she then looked at her with her bright smile.

Sakuto and Mirai had always got along well ever since they were babies, that much was obvious. But when they started going to the academy together they started hanging out more to the point that they would hang out daily. Sometimes Mirai would try to take Sakuto with her friends, which despite his seemingly bored expression she knew he sometimes had fun with them. And some others it was just the two of them. They would find different places in the village and call it their place where they would make crazy plans as if they were on a mission. They imitated the older people in the village, their parents, ... and they made up a fake mission in which they were very high-ranked ninjas. That was their favorite pastime when they were younger. Now, even though he was almost 9 years old and her 11th birthday was only recently, they would train together or just spend time at those places they called 'theirs', reading, napping, eating, whatever they felt like. It was like a hideout to them. So when Mirai set her mind on surpassing Sakuto, he gladly started training with her. And in fact, they had so much fun in competing and sparring together that it stopped being a competition and it became their favorite thing to do. The moment they dreaded the most to arrive each day.