Chapter 12

(Art by @COene65 on twitter) 

I was sitting up on my bed, my feet slightly dangling off it without getting to reach the floor. I rubbed my eyes with my hand while I sighed. Once again I had woken up feeling nauseous.

The hand that had rubbed my eyes went up to my forehead and held my head which felt kind of heavy. Then, a sound of chirping birds caught my attention, I looked outside and saw two small birds on the windowsill.

After I watched the two birds, a chill ran down my spine, taking form in my toes curling due to the slight cold. It was normal though, it was the end of winter and I was only wearing a big shirt of Kakashi that I had started to wear because its bagginess helped in hiding my new forming belly. My hand went to my stomach and started rubbing it slowly, and it wasn't until a little later, when the birds suddenly took off, chirping some more, that I came aware of the movements of my hand. I looked down, feeling my ever so slightly protruding belly, and smiled gently.

"Here" Kakashi's voice made me look up from it to him.

He was wearing the clothes he used to wear at home, which actually consisted of his jonin attire but without his vest, head protector, and mask. That also made me remember that it was winter or else I would have been able to stare at his mouth-watering bare chest that bore some marks of mine.

He got closer and handed me a steaming cup of tea as he sat by my side, getting the thick duvet and wrapping it around me.

"Are you feeling any better?" he asked once I got the cup. He laid a kiss on my shoulder after he had made sure I was wrapped in warmth, and then he wrapped his arms around my frame, over the duvet.

I wasn't exactly at my best, but his care for me was enough to make me feel slightly better. I turned to him and mirrored one of his famous smiles, nodding lovingly at him.

"Is it normal that you keep feeling sick in the morning?" he asked me, and I let go of a small chuckle "I know morning sickness is a thing, but you're already almost three months..." he said worried, laying another soft kiss on my shoulder while his hand draped under mine and we both rubbed my bigger stomach.

I smiled gently, looking at my and his bigger hand. Like I said before, I had lately caught myself holding my belly, caressing the yet-to-be-born baby, if it was even formed yet... But it wasn't just me, Kakashi too. Whenever we'd be together, sitting somewhere, he had picked the habit of laying his hand on me, giving me warmth on my belly. And the funniest thing of it all was that he wasn't even aware of his actions.

Like yesterday, when we were on one of the daily walks that the doctor recommended me to do. We sat by a café to guard ourselves from the cold. We both found a somewhat secluded table with only a small sofa as seats, and after taking off our winter ninja coats we sat there, side by side. And while we were both looking at the menu that I was holding, I realized that one of his hands had automatically gone to my stomach, caressing it with his thumb over the fabric of his jonin shirt that hid the small bump. It was cute, and it definitely made me feel better no matter the circumstances.

I finished my tea and stood up, Kakashi quickly followed to make sure I didn't get dizzy and fell, as if I was some weak ill person. But I understood he did it out of worry, so I didn't mind at all. In fact, if I was honest, I'd have to say that I kind of liked the attention...

"Do you feel like throwing up again? Do you want me to do something for you?" he kept asking, making me smile. I turned around and let go of his hand that had gone automatically to mine in order not to let me go by myself, and I put them on his shoulders.