Chapter 1

(art by @hakjki92 on twitter)

As usual, the first chapter is introductory. But the next one gets deeper in the story

"It's true that lately he's been busier" the dark-haired woman said by my side as she devoured a steaming bowl of ramen "But I don't feel alone at all" Kurenai told me. I was leaning on the counter next to her, my head resting on my hand as I looked at her. But at her words I silently huffed and looked away "What about you?" she asked me, to what I answered a low 'uh?' "I heard Kakashi has been assigned as the commander of a small division at the front lines"

I huffed some more as I lost my gaze on the wall. Unluckily, the peace we had achieved was quite short. But at least it was enough to let us have our energy back... After everything that happened, word started spreading like fire about a small group forming. From what rumors said, they were some type of followers of the Akatsuki or something like that. As if they worshiped them, and so they were trying to form a similar group. None of the nations thought it was a big problem, but because they didn't want to risk it they decided to meet up. The conclusion of that reunion was that both the Land of Sand, and the Land of Fire would take care of it as the organization was said to be forming somewhere in between them. However, this group that was thought to be formed of thieves and second-class criminals ended up being more elusive and troublemaking than what they planned. So both Suna and Konoha were forced to use more brutal methods to get rid of this group. Unfortunately, we were still trying to do so, and like Kurenai had said, Kakashi was sent with a division under his command. I, on the other hand, was stuck here helping Iruka in training genin. 

"Yeah, he's been back for a couple of weeks though" I said uninterested.

"Oh, why the face then?" she asked, her intense reddish eyes looking at me.

"Mh... No reason" I answered half honestly "It's just that Tsunade-sama sees him more than I do" I said with a low chuckle as I span on the barstool. She mirrored my low laugh and kept slurping her noodles "Aren't you scared?" she looked at me with a questioning look, not understanding my question. I looked at her belly with curiosity. It didn't stand out a lot yet. But it still felt weird, to have someone from my friend circle becoming a mother... It just was weird "Of becoming a mother" I finally clarified.

She smiled subtly while one hand went to her pregnant belly.

"Sometimes. But I have Asuma with me, and I'm more excited than I am scared" she smiled before continuing to eat from her ramen.

I then got distracted again, getting lost on the wall from Icharaku, until I spotted the clock.

"Crap, I'm gonna be late" I said, opening my eyes all of a sudden. Kurenai chuckled at my side.

"I guess the more time you spend with someone the more habits you pick up uh?" she asked rhetorically with a smile while I asked Teuchi for my order to go.

I blushed lightly at her words. Yup, even after all this time it still made me feel fuzzy to think about Kakashi or to have other people talking about us. But I ignored her comment and just grabbed the bag Teuchi had given me. I waved goodbye to both of them and began walking towards the Hokage's building.

As I was walking outside I couldn't help but shrink slightly due to the faint cold of the night. And while I began heading to my destination I alternated my gaze from the dark buildings to the starry sky, getting lost in my thoughts yet again. And like that, going through everything that had happened since I dropped the Anbu and came back to Konoha, I found myself already at the door of the Hokage's building. But it looked as if the meeting hadn't finished yet. So I had to wait under a tree, leaning on it as I crossed my arms over my chest to get some kind of warmth.