Chapter 21: Liebestraum

Start from the beginning

"Thank you very much," Keiko said taking a program.

Kurama entered the auditorium and found that it was full of people. There were teachers, students, and he also saw what were obviously recruiters from different high schools up front.

If Asuka could get another scholarship for music at a private high school, it would go a long way in setting her up for success. Kurama hoped she got lots of offers.

"So fancy," murmured Yusuke.

"What is Asuka playing? Not that I'd know anyway," Kuwabara laughed sheepishly.

"I believe she is starting the set with a song called Un Sosprio," Kurama said. "She played it for her scholarship audition. You're in for a real treat."

They took their seats. Keiko on the far end, then Yusuke, himself, then Kuwabara. Botan was regrettably busy with some kind of Raekai business and couldn't make it.

Kurama opened the program and read through the list of students who were performing in this set. Asuka would be going first and....

He stopped.

The piano piece listed was different than what she told him a few weeks ago. She changed it? When?

Asuka Genkai- Liebestraum (Dreams of Love)

Movement one- Hohe Liebe (Exalted Love)
Movement two- Seliger Todd (Blessed Death)
Movement three- O lieb, so lang du lieben kannst (Love as long as you can)

The auditorium darkened, leaving the focus on the black grand piano in the center of the stage. The students clapped, and out came Asuka.

Kurama's breath hitched even as he heard audible gasps from around the room. Asuka was wearing that dress she'd gotten from Saikyo. The dark purple sheer fabric tied around her delicate throat. The bodice was solid, and ruffles of the same sheer fabric fell just short of her knees. She wore the same black heals which tied around her ankles. And her hair, her glorious hair, cascaded down her body in waves.

"She's so beautiful," he heard Keiko murmur in genuine admiration.

"Woah," Kurabara said.

Kurama gripped the arm rest. She had never shown her true self like this before. What did it mean?

Asuka had to lift her hair so she could properly sit at the piano bench. She let it fall, then brought her hands up to the keys. She closed her eyes, breathed in, and began to play. A slow, but beautiful and delicate melody.

It was a melody Kurama recognized. He was transported right back to the Dark Tournament and the evening he experimented with the transformation drug. He remembered watching her from the tree even while he watched the yokai in utter stillness outside the hotel.

Kurama smiled. That was the evening he finally relented his suspicions of her. That he recognized her intellect, wit, and sacrifice. That he admitted to himself he wanted to be her friend.

It was the beginning of everything.

Asuka trilled on the notes, and he watched as she moved her fingers up the piano keys, down, and back up again. All with her eyes closed, all without a single misstep. There was gentleness, but intensity in her music.

They'd spent a lot of time together while she was preparing for the entrance exam. And that time with her confirmed what he'd already suspected—he enjoyed her company. If he were honest, there was a compatibility that made itself known to him even back then.

He remembered being relieved she got the scholarship and disappointed she wouldn't be in class A with him. He kept that disappointment a secret because he knew how upset she was for not doing better on the exam.