Chapter Thirty Eight [ 2 ] + Unedited

What were you supposed to do when you received a single piece of news that sent your world spinning? When something so happy for your dad and Daniel could send so caught off guard the exact moment you hear it?

As you stared down at the screen of your laptop waiting for your mom to pick up on Facetime, you felt your heart sink as her face suddenly show up and your nervousness in having to talk to her intensified. There was no doubting it now in the coming sembreak after the exams, she'll be going home to visit for two weeks.

The truth was it didn't matter whether you will receive a long tirade from her or not: no matter how you tried to avoid it, the ending would be the same: you'd have to face your mom. And the idea of looking through the screen as you tried to register just who exactly she was for bearing the same visage as you - but she'll hace a look of disappointment in her eyes, or worse, something even more dismissive, a look of annoyance - was almost too painful to contemplate.

Her reason to call you was simple: she was planning to ask you about Heeseung. But she also knew it was a lot more complicated than that when the seven boys already reached her knowledge. Courtesy of your helpful neighbors who loves gossip.

Upon seeing her in the screen, you were startled to see her smiling and when your eyes met hers, she saw the slightest hitch in smile, the smallest pause in her momentum. You offered her a reluctant smile, the two of you regarding each other for a few seconds at the opposite screens and so connected yet she was on the other side of the world.

"Hello, mom", you said as a greeting, and she yielded a soft smile. She was wearing a blue shirt, and it took only a moment for you to realize which one it was. It's your gift to her for the care package.

"Do you like that shirt?", you added with a grin, and something flickered to life behind her eyes where before there had been only a carefully maintained coolness.

When she looked up from the shirt, she seemed to be considering something. "I still have to give you something as thoughtful as this once I get home"

"You can buy me anything and I will appreciate it no matter what", you told her, and you smile, this time, for real. Even if she was too strict for your own taste, you still love her and you knew because she just doesn't want you to feel the same heartbreak.

"Dad finally cracked about your brother had gotten you in such a big mess", Mom said, and you knew she was talking about more than just the normal trouble that Daniel usually made.

She was talking about all of it, everything that had happened since the seven letters had arrived in to its receivers. "Listen.. Mom", you began, but she interrupted you by only one raise of her pointy finger.