It's Time

"My waters just broke," Amelia looks at the wet patch on her dress then locks eyes with her husband in the rearview mirror, "How far are we from the hospital?"

"Shit!" Gwilym makes the road map in his head, "About fifteen minutes away. Have you had any contractions yet?"

"Four and they're ten minutes apart. I need to call Megan," Suddenly all memory of what happened with Freddie is gone and she's forgotten what to do.

"Let me do that," Rosie takes Amelia's phone calling the midwife, "She says she'll meet you on the ward but get there as quick as possible. Second babies usually come quicker."

"She's right about that... Ow," Amelia grips the back of Gwilym's chair breathing through the contraction, "This is quicker than with Freddie."

Joe looks lost for words but his mouth kicks in before his brain, "Can't you just hold it in?" Amelia glares at him, "Shut up Joe." Rosie slaps him over the head and Gwilym couldn't stop his snicker.

In the time it took them to get to the hospital she contractions went from ten to five minutes apart, "Please tell me we're here," She groans through the pain.

"We're here, love," Gwilym pulls up in front of the hospital entrance and Joe takes the keys from him, "What are you doing?"

"Parking your car park so you don't get a fine. I won't crash it, I promise, go on before she gives birth in the car." It's the least he can do after his comment.

"Thank you." Gwilym helps Amelia out of the car, Rosie follows behind with the hospital bag.

On the ward, Megan leads them to a private room, helping Amelia out of her dress and into a hospital gown then helps her on to the bed to check her over, "Your 9cm dilated. You sure you've only been in labour 45 minutes?"

"Yes, I had my first contraction in the bathroom just before we left the wedding." Amelia side glances at her husband and he looks hurt.

"Well, this baby is coming fast then. I'll be back in fifteen minutes to check on you but press the red button behind the bed if you need me before then," She removes her gloves, leaving them to it. Rosie leaves also to go and find Joe, giving the two some privacy.

"Why didn't you say you had a contraction in the bathroom?" Gwilym helps her to stand and walk about the room.

"Because I wasn't sure it was a contraction. It took me by surprise but it didn't hurt, it was in the car that they started to hurt. I'm sorry I didn't say anything," She looks up at him, tears in the corners of her eyes.

"Hey," He cups her faces with one hand, the other rubbing her back, "Forget about it, we're here now and she's finally coming." He wipes her tears away, kissing her lips.

"God, I forgot how much this hurt and these hairpins are giving me a headache, which doesn't help."

Without a word, he puts her arms around his shoulders so her forehead is also resting against his shoulder. With his free hands, Gwilym starts pulling out the hairpins, putting them in a pile on the side. When they're all removed he rakes one hand through her hair massaging her scalp while the other resumes rubbing her back.

"Thank you," She whispers.

He hates to see her in pain because naturally, she's very strong against it, so for her to say she's in pain it much be bad, "I can't help with the contraction pains, though you know I would if I could but if I can help in any other way then I will."

Amelia kisses his neck in reply catching a glimpse of her reflection in the window, she looks a right state, "Christ, I look a mess, could you tie my hair up?"