Frightened

Warning contains dark content

Amelia's ten days in L.A. were amazing, coming home she feels refreshed, her body recovered from bruises and she is well-rested. As promised Brian is there to pick her up and seeing her smiling and healthy his worries fade away.

The moment she gets in the car fears hits her like a train. What's Michael going to do now she's back? How will he react when she walks through the door? A small part of her hopes that he's got his act together while she's been gone but she doubts it.

She's happy to see Prince though, "Hi buddy," She puts a finger through the grate to fuss him as best she can.

"He's missed you," Brian chuckles starting the car up and they make the journey back to the flat, "How was filming?"

"Amazing! I like L.A. I get the hype around it now. And we're ahead of schedule for the filming so I should finish filming in a week as long as everything goes to plan," She kind of wished it wasn't coming to an end because it means no reason to leave the flat and being stuck with Michael.

"That's good. Oh, Anita and I are having a family dinner at home on the 18th of November to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary," He suddenly remembers glancing over at her, "It's a while away yet but I thought I'd tell you so you don't book anything over it."

Amelia writes it on her phone, "I'll be there. I can't believe you've been married 10 years."

"We've been together 22 years," He smiles focusing on the road ahead.

It's late when they pull up outside her apartment building and he helps her get her stuff out of the boots, "Do you want a hand taking it up?"

"No, I'm good," She has no idea what the flat will look like or what state Michael will be in, "Thank you for the lift home," She hugs him before dragging her suitcase to the door, Prince in her other hand.

She reaches the door and takes a deep breath, the flat isn't on fire so she can be thankful for that at least. Putting her key in she pushes the door open and the disgusting smell of alcohol is hits her.

Braving it she steps inside and shuts the door, she leaves her case and Prince in the hallway until she knows what's going on in here.

There are beer bottles everywhere and she finds Michael on the sofa watching TV, drinking another beer, "Oh there you are. It's about fucking time you came home."

The feeling of a full battery speaks a bit of fight in her, "And I see you still haven't found a job. Look at the mess in here and the smell," She walks past the TV and opens the balcony window to let some fresh air in, "It's disgusting."

Turning back around Michael is right there in front of her, "Don't you dear speak to me like that. You're a woman and you were put on this earth to do what men say, NOW CLEAR UP THIS MESS!"

She pushes past him, "Do it yourself. It's your mess and I'm not a slave or a servant," She instantly regrets her bravery.

He grabs hold of her arm spinning her around and backhands her across the face, enough to make her fall to the floor, "Clean this mess up," He grabs his keys and leaves the flat.

Holding her painful cheek she lets Prince out of his carry case and he runs down the hall hiding under the spare bed. She then gets started with cleaning up and when she's done she retires to the spare room curling up on the bed and cries her eyes out.

------

It's been over a month since Brian dropped Amelia back at the flat and no one has heard from her. She's not answering calls or texts.