Chapter 51: After Effects

My body gave in and I fell onto one knee. I felt exhausted and was trying to catch to my breath. I looked at the masked man. Asurmaru jumped in front of me and picked up my longsword then prepared to fight.

"Who...are...you?" I asked.

"I wished for this to be but another nightmare but you continue." His voice was familiar and it felt sad.

"Why?" The man took a step forward.

"Stay back!" Asurmaru yelled.

The man stayed in place.

"My job is to kill you, you know...but I still owe you a great debt." He voice grew sadder.

"And this will be the final time that I'll assist you and spare your life." He tossed a letter towards me and I managed to catch it.

He disappeared suddenly. I forced myself up and took out my knife. I turned around and he was there. I swung my knife but he disappeared.

"If I could have one wish it would be for none of this to happen, so wouldn't have to suffer any longer and we could have our leader back." He whispered in my ear.

I felt something hit the back of my neck. I saw a pool of blood, giant cages with people inside and they were chained down. I heard their chains rattle and swing. I collapsed onto the pool of blood and passed out. I opened my eyes and got up in a start. I took a look around. I was in the cell with Ezekiel, and the other two. Confetti floated around me as Ezekiel clapped and Leana patted my head.

"Congratulations for managing to break through one of your chains and take down another god." He praised.

"Audrey helped me." I responded.

"She's alive?!" Leana said. I nodded.

"She told me a few things few things about Epiales." I began to tell them everything Audrey told me.

"Epiales was just a puppet, like Mari, who was forced to do the bidding of Oizys." Selene said.

"So even our understanding of this situation was incorrect. What are those gods planning to do?" Leana was biting her nails.

She noticed me looking at her and immediately put her hand behind her back then bowed. I smiled and turned to Ezekiel.

"Speaking of gods can you tell me the location of the next one?" I asked as I leaned in closer.

"I must apologize despite our best efforts we have not been able to gather any new information about the other gods whereabouts." Ezekiel responded.

"May I suggest that you take a break? You have been working hard and have killed 3 gods so far and rescued one. You must be tired after such a feat, physically and mentally." Leana said.

Images of everyone's dead bodies flashed in my head. I started to doubt.

"I healed their injuries but they were still uncounicous. Are they really alive? Did I really save them?" I mumbled.

"I must agree with Leana. Take a break for a bit we will let you know if there is anything strange happening or there is a god. We still don't know about the new fallen angel you acquired or what powers it shall awaken in you as of now." Ezekiel said.

"Go and see if they really are alive." He added as a bell rang and everything went dark.

I opened my eyes and took a look at my surroundings. I was back at my room in the castle. I heard voices outside. My body felt heavy as I tried to get up. I pushed through it and leaned against the railing as I walked. I tripped on the final step of the stairs and collapsed onto the ground. The voices went silent then after a while they continues. I got up and stumbled to the door. When I opened my eyes, I fell onto the ground and the voices quieted down again. I pulled myself up and walked along the wall as many thoughts raced in my mind. I heard footsteps that got louder and louder. Eventually I saw everyone come out f the corner and they were standing right in front of me.