Chapter 24: Return

We decided to stay at a nearby inn and let our horse's rest.

"Asher you noticed what happened back at the lab right?" Skylark asked as I closed the door.

"Are you talking about Julie?" Skylark jumped on the bed and nodded.

"Yeah. That hatred definitely didn't belong to her." I flopped onto the bed.

"Well we really can't come up with anything so we'll just keep our gaurd up with her. Anyways I feeling a bit restless." Skylark rolled around on the bed.

"So am I. You want to have a spar." I laughed and shrugged.

"Sure." I got up and walked out the door.

We passed Julie on the way.

"Where are you two going?" Skylark jumped onto my shoulder.

"We're just going to go outside and train a bit." Julie rubbed her shoulder.

"Is something bothering you?" She shook her head and ran off.

"Should we go after her?" I shook my head.

"No we should let her be for now. I sensed regret and guilt in her. If it gets worse when we get back, then we'll handle it." I answered.

Skylark sighed.

"Isn't it better to handle it quickly?" I shrugged.

"Yeah I know but people can hear us."

"We're going out for a bit." I told the innkeeper and walked out the door.

"She might say something personal and if others can her that wouldn't be right. Also we don't know if any enemy lackeys are still here." We walked to an open area surrounded by trees.

Skylark transformed into his adult form and I held up my fists.

"Try to control my magic." We traded blow and dodged each other's attack.

He attacked me, bearing his teeth. I moved to side and heard footsteps approaching us as well as loud chewing. I sensed a demonic presence from the same direction as the chewing. I drew the blade around my back. Skylark moved behind me.

"Be careful. We don't know if this one took control of its contractor or is a trapped one." I changed my stance.

The person came out of the shadows. He had a single horn on his head and his vein were bulging. He was holding a bag and eating whatever was inside.

"We just came out of a fight and now we are going into another one." I looked at his left hand and he had a contract.

"It's both but he doesn't look that strong. Let's do this." The demon charged at us.

He already had his fist near my stomach.

"You sure about that?" It said.

I smiled.

"Yes." I moved out of the way in time.

Skylark charged at him but the demon jumped over him. I kicked him into the ground. He grabbed the bag and started eating again. The horn on his head grew.

So the demon is trapped in the bag.

I switched blades and went into the shadows. I kicked him in the gut and slipped into the shadows. I uppercutted him into the air. He dropped his bag and I caught it.

"Well bottoms up." I took one and ate it.

The horn on the man disappeared and the contact seemed to return to normal.