Chapter 29: Mari the Goddess of Dreams and Uriel the Archangel

"Sir please hand that girl over to us." I lifted my hand and pulled the girl closer to me.

"You two still work as guards here? Well don't worry we'll take it from here." They gasped and backed down then left.

"Thank you mister." The girl smiled.

I looked at our surroundings.

"Hey do you mind coming with us? If you're alone the guards might chase you again." She reluctantly agreed.

She seems to recognize me but she doesn't look like she will attack me, I told myself.

I tapped Nolan's ankle with my foot. He nodded.

"Well we have some time before sunset so what should we do?" I looked at the girl.

"But first what's your name?" I asked.

"Mari." She answered.

"So Mari what do you want to do?" Mari seemed to be distracted.

I followed her gaze which was pointed at Skylark.

"Is that a dog?" She asked.

"I am a wolf!" Skylark replied.

"The dog talked?! Can I pet it?" Skylark looked at me and I nodded.

"Fine." Mari cheered and stroked Skylark on the head.

She looked genuinely happy and her emotions were in sync.

"Hmm. She can understand him?" We then followed Mari around the village keeping a close eye on her.

Whenever we were around a large crowd, Mari would hang onto my coat. Then sunset came. Mari hid behind me when we reunited with everyone else.

"Who is this little girl." asked Aegis. I put my hand on Mari's head.

"I'll explain once we get into an inn." I was able to convince Mari to follow us to a nearby inn.

I sent Mari with Skylark and Asurmaru.

"So did you sense anything off about her, Julie?" She nodded.

"So then how shall we deal with her then? She is an enemy if she truly is a genuine god." asked Nolan.

"Well as of now she does seem to recognize me. I even left myself open a few times on purpose but she didn't take none of them. We still have to remain cautious." Nolan smiled.

"So in the end the Ashery plan worked?" I remembered what Nolan said before.

"I guess it did." I laughed.

"Seriously Asher? You're laughing when we have someone who is trying to kill you near us." Julie sighed.

I shrugged.

"Me and Asher slept at a mansion knowing full well the people there to kill us." Nolan added.

"Oh yeah but they were so bad it was like they weren't even trying to kill us." I remembered.

Julie slammed her hand onto the table. Me and Nolan jumped back behind the seat for cover.

"Anyways how are we going to handle this?" I came out from my cover.

"I know a few ways but I am going to try being straight foward this time. Aegis can you get her for me? You two can leave and I'll handle things." Aegis got up and left.

"Shouldn't w-" Nolan put his hand on Julie's shoulder and shook his head. They both left and Mari came.

"I never told you my name did I?" Mari shook her head.