GONE GIRL

"Can I speak to you outside, Jun Ho?"

The man nodded and followed the woman who offered him coffee.

"We can take it from here; you can go home, don't worry about the bill. I call her parents or guardians."

"Oh, Ga Eun, it's not a bother. Her family isn't in Seoul. I'd rather stay."

The woman saw the man would not back down.

Ga Eun surrendered, "okay."

She walked him back to Soo Yeon's room to find an empty bed. Ga Eun checked the toilet and shower, "she's gone," with these words, Jun Ho ran out. He searched the block surrounding the hospital.

Soo Yeon took a taxi home where she received a message from FIXXIT:

The next day Jun Ho did some research on Soo Yeon, she arrived in Seoul in 2015. Her family was wealthy; her mother was a widow living in New York. This detail made him wonder whether Soo Yeon's mother was still alive.

How did she get this identity and the money?

Someone must have helped her; it was apparent it wasn't his father. Even though he was the only person he knew who had the power to make a person disappear.

Why was she hiding?

He had to confront her.

On Monday, Soo Yeon didn't go to school. She received dozens of texts from Min Ha.

Nothing from Kim Su Jung, and that was for the better. She wasn't able to face him anyway. She had another problem. Whatever move she made, it seemed like Kang Jun Ho was there. She wondered when she would meet the man again as she walked back home with cup ramen and her Pineapple Fanta.

The meeting she dreaded was going to happen sooner than expected.

Seoul, Gangnam

Jun Ho waited for Soo Yeon in front of her building. As soon as she saw him, she turned around and left. Jun Ho followed; he walked a few meters away. It seemed she was luring him elsewhere; after a 17min walk, he found himself following her at the Han River. He waited for a moment; there was no one in sight as he called her name.

"Hye Mi."

The man's words made the girl freeze.

"Hye Mi, is it really you?" Jun Ho said as he approached her.

"I'm not that person. I don't know who you are talking about," Soo Yeon said without turning to face him.

"I once knew a girl; she had a brother and loving parents. She is supposed to be dead, but I know she is alive. For some reason, she is pretending to be someone else."

"Well, I don't know this person," Soo Yeon said in the most monotonous tone she could.

"I saw you at the crematorium, in front of every Seo member's memorial. The girl I knew had allergies; she always carried a small bag. When I asked her what it was. She said they were magic potions. When I knelt next to you at the party, you whispered magic potions; you knew I would understand."

It was right in the panic she had done so; his reaction was the reaping of what she sowed.

"Hye Mi, why? Why are you hiding? Is someone after you? Is your mother alive? What's your connection with NETIZEN and the Moja? Tell me; I can help you."

"Stop calling me, Hye Mi. I am not this girl," Soo Yeon said as she started to run off.

Jun Ho caught up to her. He made her turn to face him by grabbing both her wrists.

"Let go of me, let go, or I'm going to scream."

"Go ahead, let the police arrive. I'll ask for a DNA test, go on, scream."

Hye Mi kicked him hard enough to make him let go of one hand. She Punched into his elbow to make him let go of the arm, he still retained. Jun Ho let go and tried to grab her again, but Soo Yeon blocked him.

"Why are you fighting me? I'm on your side Hye Mi?" The Inspector said as he grasped one of her hands, locking her in his arms, she back turned against him.

She head-butted his chin, but there was nothing to do. He held her tightly. In a soft voice, he whispered, "Hye Mi, it's me, Jun Ho, I'm sorry. I'm sorry for abandoning you and about what happened to your family. Sorry for everything that happened to you, but I'm here now. I will help you.

No one had ever apologized, not one living soul. The man's words didn't feel like a soothing remedy, but like a stake in a vampire's heart, Hye Mi screamed to the point neighborhood dogs howled as to accompany her sorrow.

"Otoké salra, otoké salra? [how can I live, how can I live] Kill me, kill me, Jun Ho," she yelled as she struggled in his arms. "How can I live when I hear my brother's and father's cry every day? Tell me how? Kill me Jun Ho, oh, my poor father, my poor family," she said as she sobbed.

Jun Ho turned her to grasp her in a hug. Soo Yeon's head was muffled in his chest. Smothering her tears on his sweater, the girl regained her composure, pushing him away as violently as she could.

Only then she saw his face; his eyes expressed sadness and worry. His face was of an innocent who has never experienced pain nor loss. Jun Ho was immaculate of suffering, having lived a life without concern. He believed in the morals instructed in books. He was pure, and the vision of him shook the foundations of the cage, which withheld raging Hye Mi, who yelled to repel Jun Ho's aura.

"내가,복수할꺼야 [naega puksu hal-kkeo ya=I will take revenge], I don't care who will die or go to prison even if it's me, I'll go till end.끝까지! Don't try to stop me."

"Is that why you joined Black Moja? Hye Mi, you can't. That person can't help you. There's another way; I'll help you."

"Help, you say, help?" Soo Yeon spat in a chuckle. "The same way your family did? I rather die. Let me die, Jun Ho, you can't save me. Hye Mi is dead. The girl you knew is dead," Soo Yeon said while she backed away to escape into the night, leaving Jun Ho to collect his missing words, which arrived too late once again.

Yet some words clung to the girl who ran as if she pursued by the grim reaper. Those words were the ones that the semi-conscious Hye Mi heard before sinking into a deep sleep in Jun Ho's arms at the party the night before.

"Thank you for being alive, Hye Mi.

 투 비 컨티뉴드>>>>To be continued