Chapter 32. Murderer

Delilah's POV

This morning, be my dog Tofu not wake me up to ask his breakfast, I will be late for school. My phone is dead, so does my alarm, I forgot to charge it before bed last night.

I do a quick shower, dry myself, put on my jeans and hoodie, snatch my bag, and run to the campus that only ten minutes away from my apartment building. I left my phone to charge.

In the middle of the class, two police officers knocking, ask a moment to talk with the professor. A minute later, the professor calls my name, and I walk outside the class to approach them.

It's not the first time I have a business with cops, in my modeling career, I have plenty of time involved with them, mostly my fault, like caught driving while drunk, insulting people, car crash, etc. So, I face it calmly.

What now?

"Miss Ashton, you have to come with us, we will explain on our way to the office." One of them, the chubby young man, says.

I look at my professor and the old man nodded. So, I packed my things and follow them to their car.

"Okay, Sir, what did I do this time?" I asked after the car drive away. They look at each other confusedly.

"Your father has killed last night, we are under an investigation and about to give you a few questions."

"What?!" Not that I sad, I barely know the man, but this is quite shocking.

"We're sorry, but you need to get under investigation too, we have no witness on this case. The maids and driver come to work this morning and found his dead body in the kitchen, he died about ten pm. last night."

I was up to study until two a.m.

***

They have questioned me and I'm clear. I'm free to go. The police officer is kind enough to drop me off at my apartment. I run inside and turn on my phone, packing my things, fills Tofu's water and food dispenser while waiting for my phone to load. Then check my phone, 20 missed calls, from Maggie, our maid, my nanny, someone closest to a mother than my biological one. From Darryl, Dad's driver, who drives me everywhere and teaches me to drive, and from James, Dad's attorney. I send the same message to them, that I'm on the way home and will be arriving about two hours later, and expect to see them there.

I have to arrange a proper funeral to honor my father. As stupid as it sounds, he just has me. Mom is no longer part of his life, and he has no siblings not parents anymore. I don't know whether he has any cousin or another family, I've never met one. I don't even think about his will, or I get any inheritance or not. I just know that if this house will fall to me, I will sell it, I need the money to live before I graduated and can make money on my own. If it's not, I will start to work part-time, I guess.

After the hectic funeral is done, I go back to the mansion and sit in the dining room, and Maggie sits beside me, hugs me, tells me her condolence. She said she is too old to find another job, so she will leave this town to live with her son in Alabama. I tell her that she is a mother to me and wish that we could meet again someday. I ask her to save my number and call whenever she needs anything. She left after that.

Daryl said he will find a new job as a driver and will never forget about my father and me. I sit longer there and planned to leave before night, I don't want to leave Tofu alone for anymore longer, he will sulk and bite my sofa into pulp.

James sat across from me and gives me a tight-lipped smile, "I'm sorry for your loss, Delilah," I nodded to the man.

He pulls a paper folder from his briefcase, put it on the table, then opened it. He gives me an envelope, "You have to read it in front of me." He said. I accept it and tear its seal.