Chapter 31

~ Miles' POV ~

"Alright, what do we know?" Chief Sanders stood by the board, glancing over the information we'd acquired for Tex Covington.

"He's off his fucking rocker, that's what." Hawk sneered at my side and I couldn't help but agree, though that knowledge wouldn't get us far.

"Thank you for that, Hawkins. Now if we could get some useful information, please?"

I chuckled, grunting when his elbow made harsh contact with my ribs.

Fucker.

"The bomb placed in Avery's apartment - why would he have used a timer and not a hand-controlled detonator? Anyone could get distracted on their way somewhere. It seemed too rushed. Too poorly thought out." I wondered aloud, the chief nodding at the front of the room, her finger tapping on the marker in her hand.

"Isn't that a good thing?" Atwood questioned, frowning to himself.

"Yes and no. He's rushing himself, so he's making mistakes, which is good for us. But it also makes him entirely unpredictable." Chief spoke with her back turned, clicking the marker's cap on and off as she stared at the board, pensive as she took in the information over and over again.

"This shit's going to give me a headache. Can we talk about Jenna for a second? Because I think we need to figure out what the fuck is going on with her. I just know it's somehow connected." Hawk pushed himself away from the table, standing to pace the room.

"She had a quiet childhood in southern Maryland before moving here to DC, only child to Daniel and Taylor Elliott." Hawk spoke, half to himself while his pacing increased.

I eyed the folder the chief had brought into the room with her, wondering if it had been Jenna's or Avery's, though I'd never found a file on Ava when I'd tried to find the details of a past she'd entirely forgotten years before.

Noticing where my attention was held, Chief Sanders slid the folder towards me. Greedily, I opened it and began to read.

My eyes widened.

"Hawk."

Immediately, he stepped over to stand behind me, reading over my shoulder. "Fuck!"

Atwood scooted forward in his chair, eyebrows to his hairline as he waited for the new information.

I fought the urge to slam my hands onto the table and leave the room, desperate to take Avery and hide her anywhere I could.

"When I hired Jenna, she had a thin file, really only about herself because there wasn't anything else to note. At least there hadn't been anything else dug up yet. Now there's more information on her parents in here than I'd originally had. Her father had an affair when Jenna was ten." I explained, my knuckles white from the death grip I had on my armrests.

"She has a sibling?"

I nodded once. "A younger sister. She's sixteen."

"Do you think Jenna knew that?"

I thought for a moment, forcing my breathing to relax to a semi-normal rate. "I don't think so, no. She's always been a very open person until now."