Chapter 17

~ Two weeks later ~

"I'm sorry, I don't quite understand. What do you mean you can't be there?" I asked, staring at the last confirmation on my checklist as I balanced the phone between my ear and shoulder, the New York caterer on the other line.

"I have a family emergency and have to leave my sous chef in charge next weekend. Is there any way we could come by this week so he can get everything squared away and you could at least be a bit more comfortable with him working the event?"

I exhaled, reassured. "Yes. I'm heading up tonight and will be there all week, so tomorrow would be best. Thank you so much."

I hung up the phone a minute later, glancing up to see Liam relaxed on the couch, his eyes on me.

"What?"

His eyebrows furrowed. "How do you stay so level headed when that shit happens?"

I laughed, shrugging. "Contrary to what you might have thought, Liam, I'm a very controlled person. My emotions don't get the best of me often. Especially not at work."

He nodded, standing and walking over. "Never thought otherwise, honestly. I know you're a strong ass woman. I was just curious because I wouldn't be able to keep my calm."

I snorted and he frowned, crossing his arms over his chest.

"What was that for?"

"Liam, you're cranky on the best of days. God forbid something go awry."

He clenched his jaw, narrowing his gorgeous eyes down at me. "I resent that statement."

I shrugged, standing and reaching back for my jacket. "You wear a scowl like other people wear shoes. Nearly all day, every day."

His frowned deepened and I laughed softly, nodding towards him to prove my point.

"Whatever, brat. Let's go." Before I could respond, he strode out of the office, leaving me behind to run to catch the elevator.

"Hey!" I bolted after him, barely making it between the doors and rolling my eyes at his smug look. I glanced down at my phone as it began to ring.

"Miles, hey, we're leaving the hotel now. Be there soon and we can all-"

"Ava, I'm really sorry, I have to stay at work tonight. I'll be home as soon as I can to head to New York, but it won't be until the morning I don't think."

I huffed. "Miles, I have to meet with the caterer tomorrow to finalize some stuff!"

"Baby, it's a four hour drive. We'll make it. But we have a lead right now. I have to run surveillance and I can't leave this idiot to do it by himself. You know I can't trust Atwood to do shit right."

His makeshift partner yelled a protest in the background and I had to hold in a laugh, reminding myself that I was on a tight timeline for the next week.

"I understand. But we need to leave first thing in the morning."

"We will, I'm sorry. I wouldn't stay here if it wasn't important. We'll be to the city before noon tomorrow, I promise."