Chapter 24

~ Avery's POV ~

"Hell of a way to distract me." I accused, grabbing an unscathed pair of pants from the closet, my old workaholic ways paying off in the clothes I'd always kept on hand.

Liam forced a scowl, though a smile was quick to flash across his face. "I was hoping you'd forget about all that."

I rolled my eyes. "Not a chance."

"Ava." He warned.

"What the fuck ever, Liam. Are you going to tell me the truth or not?"

"I can't. It isn't that simple."

"It is! It might be hard to talk about, but it is that simple." I yanked my jacket from the back of my chair and jerked it on, stopping when my phone started to ring.

"Jenna?"

Sobs filled the other line.

"Jenna? What's going on? What's wrong?"

"Are you home?"

"No, I'm at the office. I'm about to head to the apartment, though. I think I need some space today. You want to come over? I'll be there in ten."

She sniffled, forcing back her cries. "Oh, um... I-I can't. Thank you, but maybe tomorrow or something."

Weird... why call then?

"I'm sorry, Ava. I have to go. I'll text you tomorrow."

"Wait, Jenna, I-"

I frowned down at my phone, completely confused with my friend's behavior.

"What was that about?"

I clenched my jaw. "No idea."

"Well, what'd she say? And what was that about needing space?"

I laughed sarcastically, heading for the door. "What's wrong, Liam? You don't like not knowing things? How strange."

"Dammit, Avery! I need you to talk to me. This could be important!" He called out after me, running to catch up as I made my way to the elevator.

I snorted. 'This could be important.' Double standard having ass.

"It's Jenna. She probably had a shit night last night with one of the guys she was trying to hook up with or got into it with her parents. Either way, she didn't want to talk about it and it's not right for me to push her on it. She said she'd talk to me tomorrow and I believe her. Now."

I smacked my hand on the elevator button before I spun on my heel to face him.

"I'm going to the apartment for the rest of the day, might stay there tonight. I need time to get my head on straight."

The elevator door opened and we stepped on, trying to keep my distance and leaning against the wall.

"You mean you need time to overthink yourself out of what you want."

"It's not natural, Liam! This - all of this - it's not!"

"Aves-"

He reached for my hand, but I stepped further away. "No. I need time to think about this. Miles made this decision without talking to either one of us and maybe he's wrong this time. And you and Miles need to figure your shit the fuck out, anyway. You seem to want to keep the past in the past and he agrees that I deserve to know. So figure it the fuck out."

I stepped out into the lobby, making a beeline for the street, but Liam was close on my heels.

"You're really not going to leave me be, are you?"