Chapter 3

"She can't even let me do my job. She took the one thing I had to do today and did it herself. Fucking control freak, much?" Vanessa's voice cracked at me as she spoke to someone on the phone.

I rolled my eyes, shaking my head as I stirred my sixth cup of coffee for the day, tapping my knuckles on her door.

"Ugh, one sec. I'll call you back." The phone clicked and she cleared her throat, inviting me in.

"Oh! Ms. Hensley, I was just about to track that shipment. I-"

"It's already taken care of. They've expedited another shipment to be here tomorrow, so cut the bullshit, Vanessa. If you have a problem with our vendor and they won't send another shipment because the first was lost? Tell me and I'll handle it. But to sit and flip your lid over lost towels when you never did a thing to try to either find, or replace, them? Remind me. Why am I paying you? Towels? They're an easy fix. But if you cannot keep your head on straight for something minor, what would happen if it had been a real issue? Would you just call and bitch to your friends about me then, too? Or would you actually try to do your damn job and maybe understand where I'm coming from and why I'm irritated?"

She flinched as my voice strained against my rising anger, though my hand remained fixated on stirring my coffee in an effort to keep my focus on something less pressing.

"I didn't know you heard my call."

I let out a sarcastic laugh. "That's what happens when you make personal calls at work only to complain. Vanessa, you've been here over ten years - been a manager for seven. If you don't know how to call the vendor or shipping company, please let me know and I'll find someone who can."

I jerked the door closed behind me, striding up to my office and plopping down at my desk. I sipped at my coffee, exhausted, ignoring its bitterness as I tried to feel the effects of the caffeine.

I glanced at the clock - half past six already.

And she was just now about to call? I snorted to myself. I'd had it taken care of before I'd even pulled into the parking lot on my way in.

My stomach grumbled loudly, the realization that I hadn't eaten since the previous day biting at me. I groaned, glancing at my stack of papers for the new building preparations.

Just going to run to the deli down the road, grab a sandwich, and then I'll be back.

I yanked my purse from my drawer and slung it over my shoulder, growling again as I stared down at the stack.

Just need some food. Quickly.

I headed down and out of the lobby door, heading down the sidewalk to the deli on the corner.

Next thing I knew, I'd collided with a wall, an arm wrapped around me before my back could hit the concrete.

"What the fuck!" I screeched, gripping at the person who held me up.

"Troublemaker?"

Oh fuck. No no no, please not right now.

I winced, opening my eyes to see dark brown beads of amusement above me.

"You again."

"Me again." I mimicked, brushing myself off as he stood me upright again.

"You seem distracted."

"No fucking shit. I'm starving and I'm irritated. Bad combo."

He chuckled, nodding in understanding as he opened the door, gesturing for me to walk in first.