Chapter 49- Wait

"As your friends, we couldn't say much when you divorced but watching all this misunderstanding between the two of you is driving me nuts!" Gray practically shouted at us in frustration before grouping back to Juvia who shot him a nod. Natsu and I practically stared at each other in shock, what were they talking about??

"Lucy, Natsu, we know we have no right to meddle in your personal affairs and if you guys truly aren't right for each other, we don't have the right to say anything. But, you two really brought everyone together and now that you've split, we just aren't going to believe that 'it was never meant to be'". Erza held my hand while nodding slowly at Natsu. We were seated across the table from one another while everyone else stood around us. This was the last thing I expected on my first day back from New York. I had spent a whole year convincing myself that we were never meant to be together and for the idea that this was all wrong to occur now, cause me so much confusion and pain. 

"Please make an effort to understand one another and fix those misunderstandings....this better work cause Natsu looks like he's going to kill me with his eyes." I heard Gajeel mutter the second part after Levy started shooing everyone out of the kitchen to upstairs.

"Wai-" They had disappeared and now it was silent, except for Natsu sitting across from me.

Erza's mansion was so quiet and for the longest while, Natsu and I just stared everywhere but  one another. What was there to say? We've said quite enough this entire day already.

"I don't know if there is anything we need to say. But let's start with asking one another how our past year has been?" Natsu suggested softly staring into my eyes. I had a glass of water that I held in both my hands in front of me on the table and Natsu had gulped his all down.

"Fine. We should at least pretend like we tried to talk."

He looked at me with sadness underlining his glance but I pretended not to see it, I'm probably just imagining too much.

"Are you seeing anyone right now?" I nearly spat out the water I was drinking. Why on earth was he interested in this??

"Why do you care?" I snapped back.

"I'm just asking Luce. I won't mind." His voice faded out as I saw him glancing into the living room.

"I am." I lied, biting the inside of my cheek, hoping he wouldn't be able to tell.

"Oh. That's good. Congratulations." Natsu stood up and starting to leave. He was just going to leave like that...ugh. This was so obvious that we hadn't spoken and I would never hear the end of it if Levy found out that I didn't even make an effort.

"Natsu." I reached out for his hand, stopping him from leaving the kitchen room.

He stared at me quizzically then at our hands.

"Sit. I have something to tell you." I gestured back at his chair.

Natsu slid slowly into his chair before staring at me with his full attention. I squirmed in my chair, feeling uncomfortable under his gaze.

"Why does it matter to you if I'm seeing someone. You're seeing someone too." I started, rolling my eyes before popping a strawberry into my mouth.

"I'm not seeing anyone."

"Oh...sorry about the breakup then." I feigned sympathy.

"Luce, I don't know where you got the idea that I was ever with someone." Natsu ran a hand through his hair in frustration. Liar.

"You cheated on me! What do you want me to think?!" I slammed the cup onto the table and glared at him. How dare he pretend like nothing ever happened. For someone with a really good memory, he was doing an awful job at pretending.