Chapter 43- New Guy

My next year consisted of mock-running the company, familiarizing myself with New York and forgetting anything painful. I must say, I'd done a pretty good job of it.

I still stayed in touch with everyone through weekly facetime sessions but there was a mutual agreement where we didn't mention his name. I haven't talked to him since our last conversation that night. His name shows up in the newspapers but as soon as I see it, I throw the newspaper away.

Here in New York, I had made a name for myself. In fact, no one knew about my past and I was known only as "Lucy Heartfilia of the New York Real Estate Corporation."

Henry liked me so much that he actually sold me the company at a cheaper price since he wanted to retire and leave a lasting legacy for the company. I was beyond grateful for this opportunity to grow as a person and have my own career away from the past.

"You should take some time to go back and visit. You haven't taken a break in a year and you deserve it." Henry pat me on the shoulder before heading out of my head office.

"I'll consider it sir," I called out after him as he disappeared with the door behind him. Other than the company, there was someone else I didn't want to leave behind. I couldn't just head back like this, there would be so many questions and although Natsu and I divorced, we never publicized it. I guess we both mutually didn't want to have to deal with the questions. I secretly just didn't want other men pursuing me but I don't even think the news is very current with Magnolia's anyway.

It was the last day before the summer break so it was bustling in the headquarters. I had given everyone a one week break, including myself, so the company would be on hold. Ever since I transitioned to the top, there's been so much paperwork, getting to know everyone, new working procedures and regulations that I knew everyone was exhausted.

I had become a more independent woman and I had almost thrown out all of my old clothes for ones that exuded power and elegance. I was currently sporting a black tracksuit with a moderately deep v-cut and white heels. My hair was in a messy bun and I looked much more mature than the old Lucy.

"Bye everyone! Don't forget that we have our summer break party this evening!" I called out from my office where I was leaning against the doorframe. There were a lot of party people within the room and they had organized a party at a nearby club this evening so I was looking forward to some relaxation. We had grown quite close and although they would never replace Juvia, Levy, Erza or Lisanna, it was nice to have some of my own friends here.

"You better wear something sexy to get yourself a man tonight." I heard one of them whisper as they walked by me on the way out.

"Ughh. Don't get me started." I groaned turning back into my office to grab my belongings. I haven't dated or had any physical contact with a man in a year. Don't get me wrong, the sexual tension was there but I was a busy woman now, I needed to focus on the company.

But maybe tonight could be different. I do deserve a reward for my hard work.

A sly smirk crept across my face as I thought about my possible outfit. Speaking of which, I had recently bought a cute tight black dress that ended midthigh with sequins covering the entire dress. It fit my curves perfectly and I only bought it because that store was having a 30% off sale.

Yeah Lucy, this is the real step forward towards a new life. You're not his anymore, you can do whatever you want with whoever you want.

Guilt crept into my mind of imagining myself with another man other than him but the thought of him in the arms of that girl was enough to make me curse those thoughts away.