50 - The Albatross and the Phoenix

Sanem

I love this place so much, my seaside cottage is so peaceful and I have also been extremely lucky with the weather, Evan told me that they haven't had such a warm and sunny May for years.

He has become a dear friend these days, I find his closeness a huge comfort, his presence makes me feel less lonely in a foreign land after so many months away from home.
It is the first time I leave Turkey and I am experiencing it as a sort of training to get used to the six months that await me overseas.

I've decided to accept the job offer in San Diego, I'm supposed to leave in ten days according to the arrangements with Kerem and I've decided at this point not to go back to Istanbul, I might as well fly straight to California from here.
Can is about to return from his trip and I don't want to run the risk of running into him, I prefer to avoid any possibility of doing so, I don't know how I would react.
I still feel too fragile, my feelings for him are too intense to be able to bear to live through his indifference.

It wasn't easy to tell my parents, they weren't at all happy to hear that I was leaving for a six-month trip to the other side of the world, but in the end they had to accept my decision, I am an adult and independent woman who has to make the best decisions for my life.

Before I leave, thankfully, I will be able to keep my commitment to Evan for the readers' meeting at his library.
I really enjoy these moments of confrontation with those who, through my book, have been able to see a portion of my soul. Very often their words are beautiful demonstrations of affection and understanding that, today more than ever, help me to go on and find the strength to continue writing and living despite everything.

I reach the library well in advance and am enormously surprised by the crowd that is already taking their seats in the large reading room where a table and microphone have been set up for me, I am flattered by such participation.

Evan laughs and puts his arm on my shoulder, teasing me that he had told me I would be stupid at how much of a following I have in this town.
We sit at the table, chatting and joking about the fact that I would come back here to present my third book and tell my readers that the idea came from those old shelves.

We start the meeting by reading a few passages from my first book and then continue with questions from the audience. Some are curious about my private life, others about my second book or what I am writing at the moment.

A lady of a certain age asks me if the first book was written on the basis of a true love story, I smile.
-Yes, it is the story of the most beautiful, intense and overwhelming love story ever lived, only the ending is a daydream of the happy ending that I could only dream of living-.

A girl raises her hand and asks me about the Phoenix, whether it has definitely risen from the ashes to new life.
My throat tightens for a moment with emotion and I struggle to find the voice to answer.
- Apparently the Phoenix is destined to rise and then burn again, more and more intensely, without its albatross its destiny is that, it can do no more "

A boy asks me about the albatross, I give him a sad smile before replying
- The albatross is a majestic animal, strong and indefatigable, which flies free even for days over the ocean, that is its instinct, that is its nature and nothing and no one can stop it or tie it down.

I see a hand come out from the back of the room, the chairs were not enough to accommodate all the participants and a considerable number of people were left standing behind those seated. I try to spot who has asked to speak, but he is hidden by the many people in front, then moves to the side. My heart stops while my eyes think they are having a vision as happened a year ago in a seaside town during the presentation of the same book.

 My heart stops while my eyes think they are having a vision as happened a year ago in a seaside town during the presentation of the same book

I shake my head, waiting for the vision to disappear, but my ears hear his strong, confident voice asking:

- What if the albatross had found his mate for life and decided to build his nest with her, never to leave her again?

What would the Phoenix do?