Ch.24 •He's Not Here•

Start from the beginning

Rat man was staring at Teresa creepily then looked at the elevator doors. "You're working late. See, that's what I like about you, Teresa. No matter how bleak things get, you just... Well, you never give up. Times like this, you need a friend that you can count on." Janson said from in front of me. "I'll bear that in mind," Teresa said with a slightly shaky voice. There was a long pause before Rat man spoke up again. "There is one thing you should know. One friend to another. Thomas and Y/n are here. Surveillance picked them up outside the walls. Ava didn't want you to know, but there is a chance that Thomas may try to contact you, and if he does, I'd like to think that I'd be your first call." Rat man said turning to look at her.

"Are you going to kill them?" Teresa asked looking at him. "Would that be a problem?" Rat man asked not receiving an answer from Teresa. The elevator ringed and the doors opened, "This is me." She said walking out with me behind her and Newt behind me, Thomas slightly shoving Rat man to the side behind Newt. "Y/n, you have to listen to me. Getting that serum won't save Newt. It might buy him some time, but..." Teresa said from behind me as I glanced behind me. I thought about it for a second before Newt cut off Teresa's rambling. "Just ignore her, love. She's trying to get inside your head." Newt said grabbing Teresa's shoulder and pushing her along.

"Thomas, listen. You know what's going on out there. People are dying. The world is dying. There's something about Y/n's blood and yours that I don't understand." Teresa said now trying to convince Thomas from beside me. "Open it." I heard Thomas say from under his mask. "Let me run some tests... I promise I can protect you." Teresa said pleading as Thomas took off his mask in anger. "Yeah? Like you protected Minho?" Thomas exclaimed walking up to Teresa. Newt grabbed Thomas's shoulder and said, "What are you doing?" As I also walked up to Thomas. "Thomas someone's going to see us!" I said trying to get him to back off.

But Thomas shrugged us off, "How many people is it gonna take? How many more people do they have to round up, torture, kill? Huh? When the hell does it stop?" Thomas ranted getting closer to Teresa. "It stops when we find a cure." She responded sternly. "There is no goddamn cure!" Thomas snapped making Teresa take a step back. I looked behind Teresa and saw someone approaching us. "Don't waste your breath, Teresa. He made his choice long ago." Rat man started pointing a gun at Thomas approaching us slowly. Newt, Thomas, and I quickly aimed our guns at Janson. "Drop it, kid!" A WICKED guard yelled as he and his partner approached us.

"Back up. Tell them to back off. Tell them to back off!" Thomas exclaimed to Rat man as he grabbed Teresa and put his arm around her neck and pointed his gun to her head. "Hey, Thomas, come on. It's me. I've known you longer than you can remember. You're not gonna shoot her." Rat man claimed still aiming his gun at Thomas. "You don't think so?" Thomas stated looking at Rat man. "Okay. Go on then. Shoot her. Prove me wrong. Shoot her." Rat man said putting his gun down. Thomas didn't shoot Teresa nor responded to Rat man. I stood behind Teresa holding my gun. I pulled the trigger and the shot rang through the building.