•The Task• 𑁍

[CHAPTER TWO]

Y/n's POV:*16 yrs old*(Present Day)

It's been about six long years since my older brother had been taken away from my family by WICKED. He should be around seventeen. Six birthdays he never got to celebrate with us. I just turned 16 last month, I've grown a lot as I'm sure my long lost brother has too. I still think about him a lot till this day. There's actually not a day that goes by that I don't think of him. During the couple years that we grew up together we became each other's best friends including Brenda. My family and I have been trying to locate him but there's no trace, no clues, nothing. It's like he's vanished and it make me so frustrated. I hate to admit it but I think everyone around me is starting to give up on looking for my brother, even my parents are losing hope they just won't admit it.

I haven't seen Brenda or my uncle Jorge in four years. After two years of living in the same bunker uncle Jorge decided to move to a different area, long way from here. Uncle Jorge said it was for the best so he could keep a lookout for my brother and the Right Arm so we can get the hell out of this shit hole. Brenda was my only friend after my brother was taken away. She was always there for me, helping me sleep at night, making sure I ate my meals, and she never judged me for crying in front of her. God how I miss Brenda, I consider her my cousin or like an older sister. Ever since Brenda left I started to teach myself things to keep myself distracted for a while. In the mornings I'd practice archery, surprisingly I was naturally good. My mom taught me more about how to handle a regular gun. Yet I taught myself how to use a rifle. For my sixteenth birthday dad gave me a dagger and has started to teach me how to use it. I also started learning self defense, punching properly, and things like that.

Over the years WICKED has not given up they still send their drones and sometimes even soldiers to search the area for more immunes. Mom says my brother is most likely immune which is why the why they took him. We're still not to sure about myself but I must be if WICKED is still out there looking for me in specific. Sure you would think being immune is great, best thing ever even. But it's not, you're forced to watch people die all around. I wish I could at least share my immunity with my family. Sometimes I feel selfish to think I'm the only immune in my family. I might be one of the few people to survive the Flare, but I'd do anything to keep my family safe from infection.

Everything outside of our bunker has gone to complete shit. Building destroyed, many abandoned, lots of people became homeless and live on the streets of a nearby city. Don't get me started on the Cranks. They're evolving like crazy, people are losing their minds to this virus. We try staying as far away from the cranks as possible. Since they are what mainly carry the virus, but come to think of it no one is safe. We learned that the Flare can also be air born, well that's what my mom thinks. She used to work in a laboratory, she's really smart but she never explained to me why she quit. She loved what she did, that was until this whole virus started. 

Dad used to be an architect before this whole thing. He actually designed this bunker in case of emergency. Growing up I traveled with my dad to the nearest city. We would trade in valuable things for supplies like food, water, medicine, and other useful things. I stopped accompanying my dad a year later I got tired of traveling all the time. Eventually dad stopped going about a month ago we didn't want to risk him getting infected as the infection rates started going up. After weeks of convincing I decided it would be a good idea if I traveled to the city to bring back supplies.
****

*The Next Day* (Still Y/n's POV)

After convincing my parents they had finally agreed to let me drive to the city. I had only been to the city with my Dad a few times, but I think I can manage remembering my way around the city. My Dad is very cautious and loves to make sure I know every little detail when giving me specific instructions on how to get there, who to talk to, and especially who not to talk to. My Dad turned to look at me and said "Okay Y/n here's a map with the route you're going to take-" "But Dad that's like hours away how am I supposed to get from here to there" I cut him off as I drew an invisible line from one dot to the other on the map. " I can get there on foot, but it's not gonna be easy. I mean it wouldn't be a fair fight you know? I'd be fighting like twenty-" I looked up from the map.

He had a smirk on his face and chuckled "Y/n, you're not going on foot, I was able to fix the old car we found a few days ago, the gas tank was empty but we have enough gas here to get you to the city, you'll have to ask for gas when you make the trade." "Cool so... more canned food, water, medicine, and gas... that' all?" I said in a casual tone as I rolled up the map. "Y/n/n...are you sure you can go alone?" Dad said engulfing me in a hug followed by a kiss on my forehead. "Yes, Dad. I got it I can take care of myself, after all you and mom have taught me all I know." I replied confidently hugging him tightly.

"Okay...Oh and uh if it happens to get dark you can stay the night there just ask for my room." He was best friends with the man in charge over there. "Sure, I just might take that offer, I do miss our friends in the city," I said happily. I missed seeing the city and visiting people that saw me grow up in my old neighborhood. "Okay you're going to be late, you should get going." My Dad sighed tossing me the keys debating whether or not this was a good idea.

"Oh and say hi to Lawrence for me." He exclaimed before I walked out of the door.

"Oh I will!" I yelled back as I jingled the keys in my hand.

Word  Count: 1154