Ch. 22 •The Last City•

Y/n's POV:

We walked for a while through the sewer tunnels. "I don't remember these tunnels being sewers," I said pinching the bridge of my nose. "Yeah, well when you were here the tunnels were being prepared to become a sewerage," Gally said from in front of me as he turned on the tunnel lights. "Ew. This is gross. Jesus." Newt complained for the 5th time since we stepped into the tunnels.

I laughed, "oh stop complaining we're almost there." I said nudging his shoulder playfully. "Yeah, this is great," Thomas replied sarcastically. "Stay with me. We got a ways to go." Gally said as we walked through more wet tunnels. Along the way, I explained to Gally what had happened back home with my parents and why they found my walkie-talkie covered in blood. He told me about the roses and buttercup flowers in my room. He told me about how bad it got with Lawrence, Oliver, and him.

~

"This is a long way from the Glade," Newt said from beside me as he and Thomas looked at the tall buildings of the city. "Fifteen minutes to mandatory curfew. Please proceed home in an orderly fashion. Remember, this is for your safety. Thank you for your compliance." We heard a woman's voice announcement throughout the whole city. We all glanced at each other and Gally spoke up, "Yeah, we better get off these streets. And I know it's hard, but act like you've seen it before." He said to Thomas and Newt.

Newt held my hand as we ran across the street and hide by a glass store as a WICKED car passed by, "They've definitely upped security. I'm guessing you shanks have something to do with that. All right, let's get outta here." Gally said as we crossed another street and made it to the wall. "Y/n, you first," Gally said as he put his hands out to give me a boost. I was about to put my foot on his hands when I felt Newts hands on my waist lift me so that I could reach the wall. I was now up waiting for the guys, was Newt getting jealous?

I thought to myself as I came back to reality, "All right, Newt, you're up." I heard Gally say as Newt showed up next to me. "Someone's jealous," I whispered into his ear and felt him tense up. "There's nothing to worry about I only want you," I said looking into his eyes. He grabbed me by the waist and kissed me, "I wasn't jealous," Newt said with a smirk as I playfully rolled my eyes and held his hand. And we followed Gally and Thomas up to the staircase. We got to the yellow railing, "There it is. If WICKED's got Minho, that's where they'll be keeping him." Gally said as he pulled out a small telescope setting it up.

Then handing me the binoculars I had left up here. I stood to the right of Newt looking through the binoculars. "Lawrence has been trying to find a way in for years," I said looking through my binoculars. "Place is crawling with soldiers. They got surveillance everywhere. Scanners on every floor." Gally said looking up from the telescope. "Sounds like a bloody fortress," Newt said looking out into the city. "Yeah, I thought you said you had a way in," Thomas said getting impatient. "I might," Gally said looking from Thomas to me.