Summer Vacation (Alternate Universe)

Start from the beginning

"Yes," Carter said, still staring at the folder. "But I'm trying to pretend you don't exist."

Mason fell into a seat across from her. "A little hard to do when you're on my plane."

At this, Carter raised her head and snorted. "Your plane? Mason the best thing you can say about your life is the fact that your father is someone. You've basically spent your entire life riding someone else's success."

"As opposed to you? You're no one."

"Yeah, but at least I'm not delusional. I'll become someone by my own skills, not my father's."

"I didn't ask for this life."

"Yet you live it and act like it makes you better than everyone."

"So I have an ego, who doesn't? You sure do."

"Mason even though we are on a plane filled with Secret Service agents, I'm still very tempted to hit you."

Mason rolled his eyes and slouched in his seat, completely unconcerned.

"Oh look at me," Mason mocked. "I'm Carter Owens and I have violence issues."

"Oh look at me, I'm Mason Douglas and I have daddy issues."

The two of them glared at each other, both wishing the other would burst into flames.

"Hey, Carter."

Carter broke away from wanting Mason to die by transmitted thoughts and glanced up at the smiley Secret Service agent crossing over to her.

"Hi, Curtis," she said.

Curtis rested an arm on the back of a nearby chair. "Steve tells me you're quick enough on your feet that you could join the service."

Carter grinned. "You nervous a younger more attractive person will replace you?" Curtis laughed. "Don't worry, I wouldn't. I don't like Mason enough to want to see him survive anything."

"Owens, when we're in the air I have a door I want you to jump through," Mason said.

Still smiling, Curtis looked between the two of them.

"Should I be worried?" he asked.

"For his safety, yes," Carter said exactly as Mason said, "For her safety, yes."

Curtis waved Mason forward. "Come on, your father was looking for you. And it seems it's best if I separate the two of you. It will be good to have you around the compound Carter."

"No it won't," Mason said, walking off.

Carter let out a breath and sank deeper into her chair. It was going to be a long month.

*****

"I hope you don't mind sharing a space with your old man," Carter's father said, dumping his bag onto a bed.

As far as spaces went, it was nice like a suite in a fancy hotel. But still, Carter didn't want to be there. No matter how big Camp David was, it was still locked in by high, impenetrable fences and dozens of security teams. And of course, there was the chance she might glimpse Mason now and again.

"It's fine," she said, unzipping her bag.

"Okay, I have to go work, but I'll find you for dinner. Also, a lot of the guys are happy to have you here, see what you can do."

That teased a smile out of Carter. "I hope you haven't built me up too much. I am still fifteen, I can't rappel from a helicopter. Yet."

"Don't worry, I know you could handle anything they put you up against."