[chapter 107]

BELGIUM, JANUARY 2017

Evelyn sat at the small café in Bruges, careful not to draw attention to herself, not like the elderly couple managing the business seemed to care. She knew her cover would be safe there as she risked to go in the open like this. As she waited, her mind went to Steve. He was in Wakanda having gotten a call from T'Challa that Bucky was awake and they believed they managed to wipe everything HYDRA had put in his mind. Even if she wasn't busy, she wouldn't go knowing this was something the two best friends had to celebrate alone.

Over the course of months, in some degree, to maintain sanity, they realized all of them had to function within some kind of a system. Something they could operate within as it was all they were used to. So they kept running these missions, answering to nobody as they flew under the radar but still took care of business in the way that they knew how to do. All this working underground bonded them even stronger, all of them now working with seamless communication. The whole outlaw thing did take a certain toll on them, especially Steve and Sam but they managed.

Evelyn looked up from her cup when the bell rang signaling someone coming into the small shop. Her eyes met with the person she was expecting and lit up with joy. Quickly getting up, Evelyn pulled her in for a tight embrace before letting her sit down.

"Hi, Evie." Georgiana beamed at her sister, sitting opposite her. "I like the hair."

"Oh, thanks Georgie." Evelyn ran her fingers through her short hair and smiled at her. "How was the flight?"

"Quiet." Georgiana playfully rolled her eyes. "You know how Happy is."

"Well, thank him for me." Evelyn was grateful at him for flying Georgiana there without any questions, keeping her safe. "And you know... Tony."

"He's too stubborn to admit it but..." Georgiana spoke, playing with the menu in her hands. "He misses you. Both of you."

"I miss him too, Georgie." Evelyn sighed, her shoulders sagging for a moment. "So does Steve, I can tell."

"How are you two? And Nat?" Georgiana asked looking at her with a frown. "Where do you live? How do-"

"We're good, don't worry about us." Evelyn cut her off with a small smile. "And you know I can't answer that."

"You can trust me." Georgiana put a hand on Evelyn's, looking at her pleadingly but Evelyn shook her head.

"I do trust you, Georgie. But I can't risk it. If anyone finds out you somehow know... I just can't." She squeezed Georgiana's hand back and flashed her a smile. "Enough about me. Tell me everything. How is school? And Peter? Any small heroing?"

"School's the same and I've been hanging with Peter more than before." Georgiana looked down, a faint blush on her cheeks. "Oh, before we start, you should know something..." She winced a little, knowing her sister would go in overprotective mode. "But don't freak. Peter and I handled it."

"Handled what Georgie?" Evelyn asked with a frown as Georgiana fiddled with her fingers.

"So..." She smiled with a wince. "There was this guy called Vulture..."

"Can't believe Coney Island is now destroyed." Evelyn shook her head after Georgiana finished her story. "And I can't believe Tony actually offered you two to join the Avengers."

"You're not... mad?" Georgiana hesitantly asked. "That I didn't say no like Peter?"

"I'm worried but not mad, no." Evelyn smiled with pride in her eyes. "You're sixteen now, I wasn't so far behind when I became an agent."

"I'm still known as Pepper's distant relative though..." Georgiana sighed looking down. "I want to tell everyone with pride that I'm your sister."

"I know, Georgie." Evelyn leaned over and gently squeezed her shoulder. "But me being a fugitive and all... The government will be right on you."

"I miss you so much." Georgiana's lip trembled a little as she tried to hold it together.

"Hey..." Evelyn quickly got up and wrapped her arms around Georgiana's shoulders, the latter wrapping her arms around her sister's torso. "This will be over soon, I promise."

"Or I'll personally beat the crap out of that Ross guy." Georgiana mumbled, sniffling a little.

"Now that's my sister." Evelyn chuckled pulling back and wiping her sister's face. "Don't get in too much trouble."

"You know me." Georgiana winked, lightly laughing with tears in her eyes. "I think you're the troublemaker now."

"Oh, hush you." Evelyn fake scolded her but her smile quickly vanished when someone entered the café and looked at her like he was trying to remember where he knew her from. "Georgie, call Happy. We're leaving."

Georgiana knew better than to question her sister when she went into agent mode and obliged, keeping her head down as she exited the café. Happy was already there, looking at them from across the street.

"I'm sorry I couldn't stay any longer." Evelyn apologized, wrapping her arms around Georgiana again. "I'll contact you soon."

"I'll be waiting." Georgiana mumbled as Evelyn's eyes met with Happy's, the man looking at her with almost a frown. Evelyn mouthed thanks to him, making him nod at her with a small smile. "Hopefully soon."

Evelyn slumped against the wall as they were in the Quinjet, quickly changing countries not to risk anything. Natasha had told them she had a place in mind to lay low for a while until they caught up on any chatter.

"Hey." Steve sat next to her, slinging one arm around her shoulders. "How was today?"

"It was good." Evelyn replied, her head on his shoulder. "She misses you guys. Apparently she's on the road of becoming an Avenger now."

"I'm not surprised." Steve replied with a smile. "You Townsend girls are something else."

"By something else if you mean powerful and great then you're right." Evelyn shot back making him laugh.

"And modest, apparently." He added earning a little jab at his side from Evelyn.

"How is he..?" Evelyn asked after a while. "Is he really himself?"

"Yeah." Steve breathed out. "It's really Buck."

"That's amazing to hear." Evelyn replied with a smile as Steve intertwined their hands. "What's his play now?"

"Wakandans offered him a place." He stated with a distant smile on his lips. "I think some peace and quiet will be good for him."

"You're right..." She agreed, nodding along. "He missed so much."

"He deserves some time off from fighting." Steve sighed, putting their hands on his knee. "Maybe we do too..."

"You know that's now true Steve." Evelyn muttered. "We'd go crazy if we didn't have any missions to do."

"I know but..." She felt him shrug under her head. "Maybe someday."

"Maybe someday."