[chapter 6]

"He is the one you've been looking for Doc." Evelyn finished talking about Steve. "He's got spirit."

"I know." Doctor Erskine replied with a small smile.

"Colonel Phillips won't be happy." Evelyn shook her head. "I'm sure he wants someone like Hodge."

"I can handle the Colonel." Erskine joked with a small wink making her chuckle.

"Good luck then, Doctor." Evelyn stopped next to a car. "I should be going to the Practice Field."

"We'll meet you there, Agent."

Evelyn lightly jogged towards where she knew Peggy was making them do calisthenics. She saw Peggy pacing as they were doing pushups.

"Faster, ladies! Come on." Peggy raised her voice. "My grandmother has more life in her, God rest her soul. Move it!"

Evelyn sniggered at Peggy's remark and joined her side.

"Doc is bringing the Colonel here." She whispered to Peggy who nodded and checked the stopwatch as Steve failed to do a pushup.

"Up!" Peggy ordered as a car pulled up behind them. "Jumping jacks!"

"Come on, girls." Evelyn clapped her hands seeing the Colonel was watching them.

"He doesn't seem happy." Peggy commented as the Colonel was in a heated conversation with the Doctor.

"When has he ever?" Evelyn joked right before a grenade tumbled in the grass, stopping in front of the recruits.

"Grenade!" The Colonel shouted as the recruits scrambled away and Evelyn didn't miss Hodge yelping before throwing himself underneath a nearby jeep.

"Get away!" Steve threw himself on the grenade before either Peggy or Evelyn could reach it. "Get back!"

Evelyn looked back at the Doctor with a smile as the Colonel huffed and glared, walking away. Doctor Erskine smiled back at Evelyn and then Steve who slowly looked up from his position.

"It was a dummy grenade." The Officer declared as the other candidates slowly got on their feet. "All clear, back in formation."

"Is this a test?" Steve asked, still panting from the exercise.

"Yes, Rogers." Evelyn nodded, remembering how he asked the same thing last week. "On your feet."

"Ready?" Evelyn looked back at Peggy the next morning.

"Of course." Peggy reached the door and saw Steve waiting for them next to the car that would be taking them to Brooklyn. "Mr. Rogers."

"Agents." Steve saluted them with a serious look.

Evelyn nodded at the soldier sitting in the driver's seat and got in next to him as Peggy and Steve sat in the back. The ride was mostly quiet, soft music coming from the radio.

"I know this neighborhood." Steve finally spoke up when they were finally in Brooklyn. "I got beat up in that alley..." Evelyn glanced back as he pointed out. "And that vacant lot... And behind that diner."

"Did you have something against running away?" Peggy asked with a curious look.

"You start running, they'll never let you stop. You stand up and push back..." Steve replied with a shake of his head and Evelyn knew he was the best choice for the Project. "They can only tell you no for so long, right?"

"I know a bit what that's like." Peggy said with reminiscence and Evelyn knew her troubles, the ones she didn't have to face thanks to her father. "To have every door shut in your face."