[chapter 32]

"What's the story upstairs?" Steve asked Thor who shot a look at the Tower.

"The power surrounding the Cube is impenetrable." He replied shaking his head as Tony flew over them with couple Chitauri flying behind him.

"Thor is right." Tony agreed over the earpieces. "We gotta deal with these guys."

"How do we do this?" Natasha asked slightly out of breath.

"As a team." Steve replied, authority radiating off of him.

"I have unfinished business with Loki."

"Oh yeah?" Clint shot back at Thor as he readied his arrows. "Get in line."

"Save it." Steve turned to them and walked over, facing all of the team. "Loki's gonna keep this fight focused on us and that's what we need. Without him these things could run wild. We got Stark up top, he's gonna need us to-" He stopped talking when he heard a motorbike approaching.

They all watched with small smiles as Bruce arrived on an old motorbike. He dismounted and surveyed the damage, the team slowly walking over.

"So..." Bruce spoke up looking around. "This all seems horrible."

"I've seen worse." Natasha shot back, hinting at what happened at the Helicarrier.

"Sorry."

"No, we could use a little worse." Bruce cranked a small smile at Natasha's reply.

"Stark." Steve spoke into the earpiece. "We got him."

"Banner?" Tony asked as if they were waiting for someone else.

"Just like you said."

"Then tell him to suit up." Tony replied. "I'm bringing the party to you."

Just as he finished talking, Tony rounded a corner, flying towards the team with a Leviathan close by. He drew the creature low, making it skim the road.

"I- I don't see how that's a party." Natasha stuttered with a frown as Thor readied his hammer.

"When you said party..." Evelyn spoke up not knowing how they could take that thing down. "You meant funeral right?"

"Dr. Banner." Steve called out when Bruce began to walk away, towards the Leviathan. "Now might be a really good time for you to get angry."

"That's my secret, Cap." Bruce replied turning back around. "I'm always angry."

Just as he finished his sentence, Bruce transformed into the Hulk and punched the Leviathan, making it halt and stand in the air against his fist. Tony took the opportunity and fired a missile at the creature, exploding it. Clint and Evelyn quickly jumped behind a car to avoid the blast as Steve shielded Natasha.

The Chitauri around them let out an angry cry at the fall of the Leviathan. Now as a complete team, the Avengers stood in a circle, Hulk roaring at the Chitauri as the rest of the team stood ready. They all looked up at the portal hearing roars above, more Leviathans and hundreds of Chitauri flying down.

"Guys?" Natasha asked worriedly, seeing the numbers.

"Call it, Captain." Tony looked at Steve, very well knowing he was the best to make a plan at the moment.

"All right, listen up." Steve spoke up, making up a plan in his head. "Until we can close that portal up there, we're gonna use containment. Barton, I want you on that roof, eyes on everything. Call out patterns and strays. Stark, you got the perimeter. Anything gets more than three blocks out, you turn it back or you turn it to ash."

"Wanna give me a lift?" Clint asked Tony who gave a short nod.

"Right." He grabbed Clint's shoulders. "Better clench up, Legolas."

"Thor." Steve looked at the Asgardian. "You gotta try and bottleneck that portal, slow 'em down. You got the lightning, light the bastards up." Thor swung Mjolnir and flew off. "You and me." This time he addressed Natasha. "We stay here on the ground, keep the fighting here. Evelyn, ditch the gun." Evelyn raised an eyebrow but he knew her capabilities. "I know you're holding back but these creatures..." He knew she tried to avoid her powers but Evelyn nodded at him, saying she would be fine. "Burn as many as you can, shoot their flying crafts down. And Hulk!" Hulk looked at him with a grunt. "Smash!"

With a smirk, Hulk leapt off, taking out dozens of warriors that were on the sides of the buildings, smashing them, throwing them. They also saw Thor landing at the top of the Chrysler building, summoning a big bolt of lightning. He sent it shooting out towards the portal, taking out many warriors and a Leviathan.

Evelyn sent a blast at a flying craft nearby, making it blow up as Natasha and Steve fought with the surrounding Chitauri. Seeing Natasha struggling to get two off of her, Evelyn jumped on a car's hood and landed on the shoulders of one of the Chitauri, breaking its neck and burning the other.

"Thanks." Natasha breathed out, grabbing the Chitauri gun.

"Couple civilians on 42nd." Clint's voice came through the earpiece and Evelyn looked down from the overpass.

"On it!" She replied before anyone else could and jumped down like before, landing a little weird on her feet. "I gotta take up parkour."