[chapter 90]

"Secretary Ross has a Congressional Medal of Honor, which is one more than you have." Rhodey was arguing with Sam as Steve and Evelyn were studying the Accords, reading through the main points.

"So let's say we agree to this thing." Sam shot back. "How long is it gonna be before they LoJack us like a bunch of common criminals?"

"117 countries want to sign this." Rhodey argued. "117, Sam, and you're just like, 'No, that's cool. We got it'."

"How long are you going to play both sides?"

"I have an equation." Vision spoke up stopping the argument.

"Oh, this will clear it up." Sam commented and Evelyn kept her eyes on the Accords as Steve stopped reading.

"In the eight years since Mr. Stark announced himself as Iron Man, the number of known enhanced persons has grown exponentially." Vision stated. "And during the same period, the number of potentially world-ending events has risen at a commensurate rate."

"Are you saying it's our fault?" Steve asked raising an eyebrow.

"I'm saying there may be a causality. Our very strength invites challenge. Challenge incites conflict. And conflict... breeds catastrophe." Evelyn frowned seeing one of the clauses and nudged Steve. "Oversight... oversight is not an idea that can be dismissed out of hand."

"Boom." Rhodey commented and Evelyn got up feeling her blood boil, the Accords in her hands.

"So oversight is 'Those with innate powers must also wear tracking bracelets at all times'?" Evelyn spat out, reading from the document. "Or, even better 'Any enhanced individuals who are otherwise deemed to be a threat to the safety of the general public may be detained indefinitely without trial'?" She dryly chuckled as no one dared to make a sound. "So should I go and surrender now? Or Wanda?"

"We can negotiate those terms." Rhodey spoke, a small frown on his face as Evelyn handed it to Steve so he could see for himself.

"Tony." Natasha called out as he was lying on the couch, a hand over his face. "You are being uncharacteristically non-hyper-verbal."

"It's because he's already made up his mind." Steve stated, reading him like an open book.

"Boy, you know me so well." Tony looked at him and got up with a wince, rubbing the back of his head. "Actually, I'm nursing an electromagnetic headache." He walked to the kitchen and grabbed a mug. "That's what's going on, Cap. It's just pain. It's discomfort. Who's putting coffee grounds in the disposal? Am I running a bed and breakfast for a biker gang?"

Evelyn would have pointed at Vision, having caught him in the act before if the topic wasn't this serious. Tony put his phone in a basket and tapped it, the phone projecting an image of a smiling young man. He looked down, then back up, pretending to notice the picture for the first time.

"Oh, that's Charles Spencer, by the way." Tony spoke, pouring himself coffee. "He's a great kid. Computer engineering degree, 3.6 GPA. Had a floor level gig at Intel planned for the fall. But first, he wanted to put a few miles on his soul, before he parked it behind a desk. See the world. Maybe be of service. Charlie didn't want to go to Vegas or Fort Lauderdale, which is what I would do." He scoffed. "He didn't go to Paris or Amsterdam, which sounds fun. He decided to spend his summer building sustainable housing for the poor. Guess where, Sokovia." Everyone looked affected by this, knowing where he was going with it. "He wanted to make a difference, I suppose. I mean, we won't know because we dropped a building on him while we were kicking ass." He raised his voice and popped a painkiller. "There's no decision-making process here. We need to be put in check! Whatever form that takes, I'm game. If we can't accept limitations, if we're boundary-less, we're no better than the bad guys."

"Tony." Steve shook his head. "Someone dies on your watch, you don't give up."

"Who said we're giving up?" Tony asked shaking his head.

"We are if we're not taking responsibility for our actions." Steve replied. "This document just shifts the blames."

"I'm sorry, Steve. That-" Rhodey interjected, shaking his head. "That is dangerously arrogant. This is the United Nations we're talking about." Steve scoffed at his statement. "It's not the World Security Council, it's not SHIELD, it's not HYDRA."

"No, but it's run by people with agendas." Steve replied. "And agendas change."

"That's good. That's why I'm here." Tony added, walking over to them. "When I realized what my weapons were capable of in the wrong hands, I shut it down and stopped manufacturing."

"Tony, you chose to do that." Steve emphasized, trying to get Tony to see reason. "If we sign this, we surrender our right to choose. What if this panel sends us somewhere we don't think we should go? What if there is somewhere we need to go and they don't let us?"

"What if the panel deems Georgiana a danger?" Evelyn asked, knowing how much he cared about her. "What if they decide the best place for her is behind bars?"

"We may not be perfect..." Steve added. "But the safest hands are still our own."

"If we don't do this now, it's gonna be done to us later." Tony avoided Evelyn's question, knowing she was right. "That's the fact. That won't be pretty."

"You're saying they'll come for me." Wanda spoke up, understanding the threat.

"We would protect you." Vision stated and Evelyn nodded along.

"Maybe Tony's right." Natasha said surprising everyone. "If we have one hand on the wheel, we can still steer. If we take it off-"

"Aren't you the same woman who told the government to kiss her ass a few years ago?" Sam cut her off as Evelyn looked at her friend with raised eyebrows.

"I'm just... I'm reading the terrain." Natasha shrugged, looking at Steve and Evelyn. "We have made... some very public mistakes. We need to win their trust back."

"Focus up." Tony put his hands on the couch next to Evelyn. "I'm sorry, did I just mishear you or did you agree with me?"

"Oh, I want to take it back now." Natasha shook her head.

"No, no, no. You can't retract it." Tony smiled as Evelyn felt her phone buzz multiple times in her pocket. "Thank you. Unprecedented. Okay, case closed- I win."

She saw Steve pulling his phone out as well and felt her heart stop for a second, her mind making up multiple scenarios. She saw a missed call and two texts. One from Alice, one from the retirement home.

Call me when you see this.

She's gone. In her sleep.

Evelyn clutched her phone in her hands as she felt like she couldn't breathe. Natasha looked like she was saying something to her but Evelyn looked to her right and her eyes met with Steve's. She guessed he got the same text from his face as he shot up.

"Guys?" Natasha asked as Evelyn stumbled on her feet, Steve wrapping an arm around her.

"We have to go." He said sharply, dropping the Accords on the coffee table

Leading to the staircase, Steve stopped at the bottom of the stairs, leaning against the banister as Evelyn fumbled with her screen, quickly dialing Alice back.

"Alice..." Evelyn breathed out, a part of her still hoping she had read the messages wrong.

"Aunt Evelyn." Alice spoke as she cried on the phone. "She's gone." Evelyn felt like she couldn't stand anymore as she slid against the wall, collapsing on the floor. "Can you come?"

"Of course." Evelyn choked out as Steve joined her side. "I'll... I'll call you back. Okay?"

Dropping her phone, Evelyn broke down. She always knew this day would come but she never could prepare herself for it. Clutching her chest, she let out a strangled cry, not caring who heard her. Steve wrapped his arms around her, both holding onto each other for support as they both wept for their dear friend.

"She's gone, Steve." Evelyn choked out, feeling his shoulders shake with silent tears. "She's gone."