[chapter 15]

Evelyn got flashbacks to when she was waiting on a cliff's edge again with Bucky and felt her hand shake. Pushing down the thoughts, she looked at Dugan, Monty and Gabe waiting for the signal. Seeing it, they quickly jumped off, flying fast towards a large window. Evelyn held out her hand and sent a blast right before they could crash into it.

Schmidt turned to them to shoot at them but Steve tackled him to the ground. As they were busy with the guards there, he made an escape. Evelyn let everything she had been holding in loose, burning the Hydra men left and right.

"Cap!" Monty grabbed his fallen shield and tossed it to him. "You too, go! We got this!"

Evelyn nodded and ran after Steve who was in pursuit of Schmidt. She pushed herself hard to catch up with them, several bombs going off in the building indicating that their units were able to get in. Before she could turn the corner she heard an explosion coming from ahead and saw Peggy standing there with a rifle in hand.

Evelyn nodded at her friend who pointed at a direction for her to go. Evelyn ran, shooting solar flares as she finally reached a huge hanger. She looked around in worry when a deep rumbling shook the base. A gigantic plane that dwarfed anything they had ever seen rolled down, large door opening making daylight glare into the hanger as the huge bomber plane sped up. She saw Steve running after the plane, trying to keep up.

Getting distracted, she felt searing pain in her side and looked away from the plane sending a blast to the trooper that had shot her. Something rushed by her and she realized it was Colonel Phillips and Peggy, taking Steve to the plane.

Evelyn put a hand on her side with a wince as she looked back seeing the plane burst out of the tunnel, the car Peggy and the Colonel were in hanging from the edge. With a grunt, she ran to the door seeing as the rest of their group were busy rounding up the finally surrendered Hydra men.

"Peggy!" She stopped by the car, checking to see if it was balanced enough. "Okay, I'll get on the hood for added weight, you two slowly climb out."

Evelyn gently climbed on, the car squeaking on the edge of the cliff. Colonel Phillips nodded at Peggy and she slowly got up. Evelyn held out her hand and helped her up a little too harshly, throwing her friend to the safety of the ground. Without Peggy's weight, the car moved a little before Colonel could get up.

"Agent Townsend, get off this car now." He ordered, not wanting to risk his agent's life for his.

"With all due respect sir." Evelyn held out her hand, not backing down. "Get out of this car now."

It was harder to help Colonel Phillips out of the car but Evelyn pulled him up with the last bit of strength she had in her. Right at the moment his feet touched the ground, the car lurched back, Evelyn rolling off of it just in time. She landed on her side where she was shot and let out a strangled cry.

"Evelyn!" Peggy crouched next to her and turned her to her side, seeing the blood. "You're shot."

"I know, Peggy." Evelyn clenched her jaw, stumbling on her feet as Peggy held her arm. "I'll deal with it when I know everyone's safe and Steve returns."

She took in harsh breaths, walking towards the control tower as she saw Monty standing at the door with his gun. He gave her a weak smile and she looked around to see if she could spot any other member of the Howling Commandos. Counting every single member, Evelyn got into the command room and slid down the wall so she could rest on the floor.

"Command, this is Captain Rogers." She heard Steve's voice blare through the coms. "Do you read me?"

"Captain Rogers, what is your lo-"