[chapter 58]

Evelyn looked at the file sitting in her lap, an old picture of Bucky lying on top. With a sigh, she shut it and looked out the window. She saw Fury talking to Steve and Sam. He had already asked Evelyn and Natasha to come with him to Europe but they both declined, Evelyn telling him she had unfinished business.

"I'm going to miss you, you know." Evelyn stated making Natasha let out a small laugh. "Who's going to make fun of me all day?"

"Well I need time off from pushing you around." Natasha joked, not wanting to get sentimental. "I won't be gone too long. Just need some time to think."

"If not, I'll hunt you down." Evelyn narrowed her eyes at her, trying to keep a serious face.

"You need to be careful." Natasha's eyes flickered down to the file. "He's not the man you once knew."

"I know." Evelyn sighed, handing the file back to Natasha.

She opened the door and pulled her crutches from the backseat. Three more days and her leg would be out of its cast. Fixing the dress she had on, she placed the crutches under her arms keeping her weight off her left leg.

"Anybody asks for me, tell them they can find me right here." They heard Fury say, pointing to his gravestone before walking away.

"You should be honored." Natasha announced their arrival. "That's about as close as he gets to saying thank you."

"Not going with him?" Steve asked guessing she would stick with the man.

"No." Natasha chuckled, shaking her head.

"Not staying here?" He asked seeing the look on Evelyn's face.

"I blew all my covers..." Natasha sighed. "I gotta go figure out a new one."

"That might take a while."

"I'm counting on it." Natasha smiled, taking the file from under her arm. "That thing you asked for, I called in a few favors from Kiev." She handed the file titled NO 17 to Steve. "Will you do me a favor? Take care of each other?"

"Of course." Steve nodded, his eyes flickering to Evelyn.

"Us fossils gotta stick together." Evelyn winked at him with a playful smile making him chuckle.

Pleased with the answer, Natasha kissed Evelyn and Steve on the cheek before turning to walk away.

"Be careful, Steve." She spoke with a small frown. "You might not want to pull on that thread."

Natasha walked back to her car as Steve opened the file about Bucky and the information regarding his Winter Soldier transformation. Evelyn kept her eyes away from the file, having read it once that day was enough for her. She couldn't stomach reading it again.

"You're going after him?" Sam stepped up, looking at the file.

"You don't have to come with us." Steve closed the file, anger evident in his eyes for the things Bucky had suffered.

"I know." Sam replied, already making up his mind. "When do we start?"

"We just did."

Evelyn hopped around in her apartment, packing all her personal items. They were going to leave for New York the next day and she wanted to be ready. She wanted to leave Washington DC behind. Balancing a box on her hip, she hobbled towards the living room and put it with the rest of her stuff as her front door opened.

"Hey." Steve walked in with takeout in his hands, a frown appearing on his face seeing Evelyn carrying boxes. "Doc said not to strain yourself."

"Honestly it's already healed Steve." Evelyn replied, gently tapping her cast. "Can't wait to get this thing off."

Her eyes trailed over all the scribbles her friends not so kindly did when she was sleeping, some of them read I heart Captain America and Tony Stark's no. 1 fan. There were also couple games of hangman Natasha did when she was bored along with some crude jokes which Evelyn had to beg Sam to paint over with a marker. Trying to prove her point, Evelyn picked another box from her room and reached the living room but to her luck, her foot got trapped under the rug making her lose her balance. She was ready for the impact which never came, Steve holding her waist with a small smile.

"That doesn't prove anything." Evelyn mumbled, feeling heat rush to her cheeks. "I'm just clumsy."

"Yeah." Steve breathed out, realizing how close their faces were before quickly helping her on her feet, taking a step back. "I'm tempted in wrapping you with bubble wrap."

"Don't let Nat hear that." Evelyn sniggered, resting her back against the kitchen counter. "Now, what did you bring? I'm starving."