[chapter 20]

DECEMBER 16, 1991

"You know, Howard." Evelyn spoke up as Maria played the piano in the next room. "You shouldn't be so distant with him. He thinks you love Steve more than him."

"One day he'll understand." Howard shook his head as he readied his suitcase. "You sure you can look after him for a couple of days?"

"He's twenty one, Howie. He doesn't need a babysitter." Evelyn shook her head but sighed when Howard shot her a pointed look. "But I'll be the boring godmother who doesn't allow any parties."

"Thank you." Howard sighed and kissed her cheek like he would always do.

"No problem, old man." Evelyn smirked, still looking young whereas Howard's hair was all grey now. "I still can't believe you finally did it."

"To be honest, neither can I." Howard shut his suitcase with a sigh. "I was this close to giving up."

"Wake up dear." Maria stopped singing as the friends walked into the living room. "And say goodbye to your father."

"Who is the homeless person on the couch?" Howard remarked, looking at Tony who was sprawled on the couch with a Santa hat.

"This is why I love coming home for Christmas." Tony shot back with a dry smile. "Right before you leave town."

"Be nice dear." Mary called out to Howard. "He's been studying abroad."

"Really? Which broad?" Howard picked up the hat from Tony's head. "What's her name?"

"Candice." Tony replied with a smirk.

"Do me a favor and try not to burn the house down before Monday." Evelyn sat next to Maria and smiled at her, enjoying the tune she was playing.

"Okay, so it's Monday." She heard Tony reply. "That is good to know. I will plan my toga party accordingly. Where are you going?"

"Your father is flying us to the Bahamas for a little getaway." Maria replied with a small smile but Evelyn knew the real purpose of their trip.

"We might need to make a quick stop." Howard added making Tony scoff.

"At the Pentagon. Right?" He asked with a condescending smile. "Don't worry. You're gonna love the holiday menu at the commissary."

"You know they say sarcasm is a metric for potential. If that's true you'll be a great man someday." Howard stated and shook his head at his son. "I'll get the bags."

"He does miss you when you're not here."

"Sure." Tony rolled his eyes at his mother.

"He does, Tony." Evelyn nodded as Howard came back. "Drive safe, old man."

Evelyn kissed Howard's cheek and hugged Maria after she exchanged a hug with her son. Evelyn held the door open as they loaded their bags in the car.

"Oh." Howard looked at them before getting in the car. "Evelyn's in charge."

Evelyn woke up at the sound of the doorbell. She had spent the whole night talking and playing games with Tony. Checking the time, she realized it was too late for any guests and got up from the bed, picking up her gun. She met with Edwin Jarvis in the hallway and both had suspicious looks on their faces.

"Officers?" Evelyn asked seeing two cops at the door with sullen looks. "Is there a problem?"

"Mr. and Mrs. Stark." One of the men spoke up, Evelyn getting an uneasy feeling. "They had been in a car accident."