[chapter 87]

MAY 28, 2016

The Compound was quieter than usual even though everyone was there. The only sounds were the news blaring through the screens throughout the place. After the devastating accident back at Lagos, the United Nations talked about the Avengers and how they should be held responsible for their actions. Evelyn tried to talk to Wanda a lot of times but the girl just stayed behind locked doors in her room. Evelyn had tried to shield Georgiana the best she could but the younger sibling insisted on being in the loop so she could be moral support.

With everything going on, Evelyn had spoken to Tony about Georgiana and sending her to his place until the UN came to a conclusion and the place could finally calm down. Evelyn knew Georgiana's finals were closing in and she didn't want her sister to be distracted from school. Baking to distract herself, Evelyn finished putting the toppings and headed to her sister's room, scanning her hand over the pad. Putting the cake on the small nightstand, Evelyn sighed looking at the TV which was still on, the words King T'Chaka of Wakanda Demands Accountability flashing on it. Quickly turning it off, she went to the window and pressed a button to let the sunlight in.

"Georgie." Evelyn poked her sister's shoulder who didn't budge. "Georgie."

Georgiana mumbled something in her sleep and rolled over, her blonde hair messily sprawled out. Evelyn tried to wake her up for the next five minutes and finally gave up, connecting her phone to the Bluetooth speakers. With a last look at the sleeping figure of her sister, Evelyn pressed play on her phone, loud music blasting through the speakers. Georgiana shot up with a frazzled look, her eyes finally landing on Evelyn who was silently chuckling to herself.

"Happy birthday!" Evelyn shouted, holding the cake in her hands. "It's chocolate and strawberry."

"This would be going in a different direction if you didn't have cake." Georgiana mumbled, getting on her feet. "You couldn't let me sleep?"

"It's almost noon." Evelyn pointed out. "We should be driving to the city soon."

"Oh, right." Georgiana replied, taking the plate from her sister. "Okay, you've outdone yourself."

"I brought a fork too, you know." Evelyn commented as Georgiana dug in, biting the whole cake like it was a muffin.

"She's finally awake?" Natasha poked her head into the room. "Thought you were hibernating, kiddo."

"Very funny, Nat." Georgiana rolled her eyes, chocolate all over her nose and mouth.

"So, any plans for the birthday?" Natasha asked walking in with a box in her hands. "Hope you like it."

"Just going to Tony's with Evie." Georgiana replied, putting the plate aside. "And you didn't have to."

Evelyn shot a curious look at Natasha who just smirked and nodded at Georgiana to open it. Evelyn's eyes widened in shock as Georgiana squealed, holding an electrical baton in her hands.

"Oh my god!" Georgiana exclaimed, holding it up. "It's perfect! It even has my initials on it!"

"What?" Natasha asked Evelyn who was giving her a pointed look. "The kid kept admiring mine so I thought getting her one was a good idea..?"

"Let's just..." Evelyn carefully reached out and pried it from Georgiana's hands. "Keep it away until Nat teaches you how to use them, okay?"

Georgiana hugged Natasha before the woman could leave and started packing her bags as Evelyn sat on her bed with a distant look.

"Are you going to be okay?" Georgiana asked her sister making her snap out of her thoughts. "I can stay here..."

"Don't worry about me, Georgie." Evelyn weakly smiled at her. "I'm actually sorry that you have to go away."

"It's fine." Georgiana waved her off. "Tony's place being closer to school and all will be for my benefit."

"Don't go too wild down there." Evelyn warned Georgiana who laughed in response.

"Well, we were planning on having a joint birthday party tonight." Georgiana shrugged making Evelyn smile. "I'll be too busy with schoolwork anyways." Her smile faltered seeing the tears in Evelyn's eyes. "Hey, I'm going to be away only for four weeks."

"Sorry, sorry." Evelyn sighed, lightly slapping her cheeks. "Just a little overwhelmed."

"I'm ready if you can stop moping around." Georgiana joked to lighten the mood. "And I'm taking the rest of the cake."

Evelyn led Georgiana to the garage, carrying one of her bags as someone called out to them. Evelyn saw Steve walking over with a small wrapped box in his hands.

"Thought I missed you two." He smiled at them. "Happy birthday, kid."

"Thanks, Cap." Georgiana smiled back, wrapping her arms around the man and Steve gently patted her back, used to Georgiana's hugs by now. "You didn't have to get me anything."

"It's nothing much." Steve held it out. "Thought you'd like it."

Evelyn smiled at their interaction as Georgiana beamed at the man. She turned around to her sister and beckoned her over.

"Evie, look." She held the box out to her and Evelyn couldn't suppress the smile that forced its way on her lips. "Thank you!"

Evelyn's eyes met with his as Georgiana hugged him again making him let out a small laugh. Evelyn gave him a grateful smile knowing how much it meant to her. Georgiana finally pulled back and saw the duo looking at each other. With everything going on, they didn't have any time alone to just talk.

"So, Cap..." Georgiana started, a mischievous glint in her eyes. "Got any plans for right about now?"

"Not really." Steve replied with a frown, shooting a questioning look at Evelyn who shook her head.

"Great!" Georgiana clapped her hands. "You're coming with us. I really wouldn't want Evie to drive back all by herself."

"No, it's okay really-" Evelyn didn't want him to feel forced to do anything but he cut her off with a smile, picking one of Georgiana's bags up.

"I'll come."

"Yay!" Georgiana exclaimed putting her hands on their shoulders. "Road trip!"