[chapter 29]

A blast shook the Helicarrier before Bruce could finish his sentence and the floor beneath them exploded, sending everyone in the lab flying in different directions. Evelyn groaned hitting her head to the wall, in a daze from the blast.

"Number Three engine is down." She heard Maria's voice in her earpiece. "Somebody's gotta get outside and patch that engine."

"Stark, you copy that?" Nick asked as Evelyn rolled to her side, wincing when she shook her head.

"I'm on it." Tony's voice came out.

"Coulson, initiate defensive lockdown in the contingent center. Then get to the armory." Nick ordered, reaching Evelyn. "Townsend!"

"I'm okay." Evelyn wiped her brow, which was cut from the impact.

"Romanoff!"

"We're okay!" Natasha's reply calmed Evelyn.

"Townsend, clear the lower level and come up to the bridge." Nick ordered before rushing out of the destroyed lab.

Evelyn nodded and ran out after him. There were people running around, yelling and grabbing guns while the monitors beeped wildly. The whole place was hectic as smoke dispensed from some of the pipes.

"All hands engaged." An agent spoke on the intercom.

She reached a group of SHIELD Tech who were panicking and helped them get on their feet. Turning the corner she came face to face with seemingly three SHIELD agents who had their guns out. One of them quickly raised it, aiming at her as she ducked at the final moment. With a swift kick, she yanked the gun from his hands and shot him, shooting the second one as well. Just as the third one was about to shoot her when they both got distracted by a loud roar echoing through the hall. The fake agent collapsed to the floor and Evelyn turned back to see Phil standing there with a gun in his hands, a small smile on his lips. Evelyn nodded at him as a thank you and rushed off.

"We've got perimeter breach. Hostiles are in SHIELD gear." A voice on the intercom spoke again, stating the obvious for Evelyn. "Call out to every junction."

Evelyn made her way to the bridge through the chaos as Fury instructed. She was about to reach the director when a small device rolled over to her feet.

"Grenade!" Maria exclaimed and Evelyn kicked her to the lower floor so she would be in a safe distance from the blast.

The device exploded right next to Evelyn, sending her flying to a couple of monitors. Her ears were ringing as she blinked couple of times, trying to focus on what was happening. A tech agent next to her was saying something to her but she couldn't hear him. The agent then slumped next to her, a bullet hole in his chest. Through the smoke, Evelyn saw Loki's men enter the bridge, guns at the ready.

Evelyn's eyes shot open when she felt the Helicarrier tilting dangerously. The place was chaotic, bridge techs taking cover and hiding from gunfire.

"Sir, we've lost all power in Engine One."

"It's Barton. He took out our systems. He's headed for the detention lab." Evelyn heard Fury's voice. "Does anybody copy?"

"This is Agent Romanoff." Natasha replied, her voice shaky. "I copy."

"Agent Townsend." Evelyn pressed her finger on her ear and spoke. "I copy."

"Stay down Agent Townsend." Fury was at her side as she staggered on her feet. "You're in bad shape."

"Sir-"

"That's an order."

Evelyn slumped on the floor, leaning against a desk as a medic was sent her way. She hadn't even realized there was a piece of shrapnel sticking out of her shoulder till the medic pulled it out. He helped Evelyn take off her sweatshirt so he could dress the wound properly.

"You have a small concussion, Agent." He said holding a flashlight to her eyes. "Nothing a rest can't solve."

"Thanks." Evelyn mumbled and pulled herself up. "Nat, where are you?"

"Engine room." Natasha replied through the earpiece and Evelyn set off, the Helicarrier finally leveling off.

When Evelyn finally reached the engine room, Natasha was leaning against a railing as a group of medics were gathering Clint up.

"Hey." Evelyn put a hand on Natasha's shoulder, startling her. "You okay?"

"Yeah." Natasha nodded, wrapping her arms around her. "You?"

Evelyn silently nodded, instantly regretting as it made her see black spots. She was glad it was over and Clint would hopefully be back to his normal self. Evelyn knew they had casualties, casualties that Clint would ask when he was awake.

"Agent Coulson is down." Fury's voice came through their earpieces and Evelyn felt her heart skip a beat.

"A medical team is on its way to your location." A SHIELD worker replied and Evelyn quickly took off to the detention room, knowing it was the last place Phil was headed to.

"They're here." Fury spoke with a defeated voice. "They called it."

Evelyn slumped against the wall when she reached the detention cell, seeing a medical team closing Phil's eyes as Fury leant against the railing. Evelyn's hand shot to her mouth, not being able to tear her eyes away from the body of her friend. She felt a hand on her shoulder and looked up, seeing Fury there. He held out his other hand to her and pulled her to her feet, silently leading her out of the room. Both of them silently mourning the loss of their friend.