[chapter 21]

As the years passed, Tony stopped hanging out with Evelyn a lot as he was fixated on Stark Industries and building himself a reputation. They still talked, just not too much like when he was younger. Watching him become a successful businessman, Evelyn knew how proud Howard would be.

Seeing as she wasn't needed much in his life, she focused on work to keep her mind busy. Rising up the ranks, she eventually reached level nine along with a woman called Maria Hill who Evelyn would consider a friend. Evelyn sat in her office at the Triskelion which was finally finished. Evelyn only wished Peggy could see it as well. Her lifelong friend was no longer an agent as she was retired from old age.

"Agent Townsend."

"Director."

Evelyn turned around in her chair to face the man. He was one of the people working at the building that she completely trusted along with four other people. As if reading her mind, one of the people in her mind joined Nick Fury's side.

"Phil."

"Evelyn."

Evelyn closed the door behind them and sat back down. Even though Fury was the Director and she was technically working under him, he respected her as she was the one that made them give him a shot at the field. Phil on the other hand had actually squealed when he first met her, having been a huge fan of Captain America and the Howling Commandos.

"I'm putting together a task force." Fury started. "We leave tomorrow. I was hoping you'd join us."

"What's the mission?" Evelyn asked not seeing a briefing file in his hands.

"We're going to Greenland."

GREENLAND 2009

It was another day at the SHIELD Base Camp located in the northeast coast of Greenland. The small expedition team was still looking for any evidence of the Valkyrie.

"We need to accelerate the search." Phil Coulson stated as they looked at the map in front of them. "The glacial shift's making the landscape change all the time."

"Are we sure about the location?" Evelyn asked as Fury nodded.

"Positive."

There was a sudden commotion outside and they all ran out, Evelyn not bothering to put on a coat, thinking the commotion was coming because they had found the Valkyrie.

"What's going on here?" Fury asked the team.

"Sir!" One of the men saluted him. "We have found something."

They got in the snowmobiles and saw something sitting on the ice. Evelyn rushed ahead and realizing it was one of the disabled flying bombs from the Valkyrie.

"We're close!" Evelyn shouted over the wind, her heart filling with hope.

Returning back to the base camp, they drew out a new outline, trying to come up with an area they would search tomorrow. The weather wasn't helping as it made it really hard to see ahead.

"I will be informing the World Security Council."

Their hope dwindled a little as the Greenland ice sheet kept shifting, making them start from scratch every time they went out there. They had found the flying bomb in January and it was now May with no other signs of anything. Due to their location, outer communications was hard, their lines getting cut off by the harsh weather. Evelyn hadn't left the base since arriving and was now waiting for Phil to return.