[chapter 75]

Evelyn was helping people on their feet as they were running off the bridge in panic. She didn't know what she expected but the number of Ultron Sentries wasn't what she had in mind. Alternating between blasts and slashes, she decided the solar swords she conjured worked best.

"Go!" Steve pushed couple people away as he kicked the robots away from them.

"Get off the bridge!" She heard Wanda shout as Evelyn, Steve and Clint took down as many Sentries they could.

"They're too many!" Evelyn jumped in front of Steve, cutting the robot in two. "Ultron's been busy."

"You have no idea." Tony replied to her through the coms just as the earth around Sokovia started to shake and break.

"What the..?" Evelyn mumbled when the bridge broke in half, the side they were on rising above.

"Do you see? The beauty of it, the inevitability." Ultron spoke through his Sentries, his voice echoing throughout the city as Evelyn and Steve stood on the edge of the bridge. "You rise, only to fall. You, Avengers, you are my meteor, my swift and terrible sword and the earth will crack with the weight of your failure. Purge me from your computers, turn my own flesh against me. It means nothing." One Sentry crept up behind them, Steve punching it before Evelyn slashed it in half. "When the dust settles, the only thing living in this world will be metal."

"We need to get these people to safety." Evelyn looked back at the terrified civilians. "Wanda?"

"Town Hall is right there." Wanda shakily replied, pointing at a building.

"Avengers, we're leading the civilians to the Town Hall." Steve spoke on the coms to let everyone know. "Try to meet us there."

"Rogers." Evelyn turned back so fast she gave herself a whiplash.

"Romanoff." Steve replied, glad to see the woman well.

"Hello to you too." Evelyn engulfed the woman in a hug.

"Is that my jacket?" Natasha asked looking over Evelyn's shoulder.

"She's with us." Steve replied looking at Wanda who uncomfortably hugged the jacket to her body.

"It still doesn't explain the jacket."

"When this is over, I'll buy you five new pairs." Evelyn told Natasha with a nod.

"Don't you forget it." Natasha replied as Evelyn handed her the clips she brought for her friend. "Thanks."

"Fighting these robots is getting us nowhere." Steve stated, seeing how they didn't dwindle in numbers.

"The air is getting thin." Clint breathed out, already feeling the effects himself. "We go up much higher, people are gonna start dropping."

"There are people in the city still hiding." Wanda noted, looking at Steve and Evelyn for an order.

"Get em out." Steve nodded at her and Wanda quickly rushed off. "Barton."

"I got her six." Clint replied, notching an arrow in his bow before following the girl.

"And us?" Natasha asked with raised eyebrows.

"We fight robots." Steve replied with a smirk, tightening his shield on his arm as Natasha readied her electrical batons.

"Today? We fight robots today?" Pietro stopped by them as he was speeding with a robot arm. He handed it to Steve with a smirk. "Or is next month better for you?"

"I like him." Evelyn commented chuckling after the speedster.

Back on the bridge, the trio had split up to cover more area. Evelyn was standing on top of a car so she could shoot all around her. There were at least twenty dead Sentries lying dead around her feet as she was blasted off of her feet from the behind.

"Cap, you got incoming." Tony's voice came through the earpieces.

"Incoming already came in." Steve grunted and Evelyn only guessed he had been hit as well. "Stark, you worry about bringing the city back down safely. The rest of us have one job: tear these things apart." He continued as Evelyn grabbed the side of the car and pulled herself up with a groan. "You get hurt, hurt 'em back. You get killed, walk it off."

"So inspiring." Evelyn mocked as she ran towards him seeing as he was surrounded by at least ten Sentries. "Duck!"

Evelyn forged two sword and swung her hands around as Steve covered his head. When he stood back up, all the Sentries fell to the side, their heads falling to the ground.

"I had that." Steve got on his feet with a smile.

"I know." Evelyn smirked at him right before a Sentry came flying at her out of nowhere, dropping her off from the bridge. She didn't have the chance to react as the Sentry let her go.

"Evelyn!" She heard Steve shout at her as she began to freefall from the city. "Stark! Thor! Anyone got eyes on Evelyn?!" Evelyn didn't scream or she couldn't, she wasn't sure as she heard her teammates frantic calls in her ear. "She's falling off the city!" Steve's voice came all shaky as her eyes started to burn from the heavy wind.

Closing her eyes, Evelyn waited for the eventual impact which never came. Feeling herself slow down, she opened her eyes and saw that she was floating in the air. Craning her neck, her eyes widened at what she saw and she looked back up to the airborne city.

"Guys?" Evelyn called out, clearing her throat.

"Evelyn!" Tony's frantic voice came through. "Where are you?!"

"I'm all right." Evelyn replied, hearing sighs of relief on the other end. "I'm coming up."

"What?" Multiple voices asked in confusion as she glanced at the wings made of fire coming out of her back and flew herself up to the city, grabbing a woman that was falling off at the last minute to drop her off at the bridge.

"Evelyn." Steve breathed out in relief, tears in his eyes as he looked at her in amazement.

"Hang on." Evelyn looked back and tried to land on her feet, not calculating well enough so she fell on a car and groaned. "That was something."

"You have wings." Steve stated which came out more of a question. "Of fire."

"They just appeared out of nowhere." Evelyn shrugged it off as if it was nothing even though her heart was pounding in her ears. "Are you gonna stare at me the whole day..." She asked as she blasted away a Sentry coming their way and smirked at Steve. "Or are we fighting robots?"