[chapter 33]

Evelyn ran ahead, shooting a flying craft down with a blast as she looked around to spot where the civilians Clint mentioned were. She found a large group huddled behind a bus and rushed towards them.

"Off the streets!" Evelyn ordered them as a Chitauri landed next to her making the civilians scream in fear. Ducking a blow, Evelyn punched hard using her powers, burning a hole in the Chitauri. "Now!"

The civilians looked at her in shock and she raised her voice, making them snap out of it and rush away in panic. Evelyn heard a scream a little further ahead and ran to the source. She saw three Chitauri cornering a woman and she sent a blast at the one on the right, as hitting the other two would possibly harm the woman as well. With a snarl, the other two turned around and sent rapid fire at her, one nicking the top of her shoulder.

"Son of a bitch." Evelyn bit her lip and rolled to the side. "When I say run, you run, okay?!" She shouted at the woman, not hearing a response, Evelyn raised her voice over the blasts the Chitauri kept sending her way. "Okay?!"

"Okay!" The woman's shaky voice rang out and Evelyn took a deep breath.

"Now!" Evelyn shouted and rolled out from her cover, sending a long flare, burning the Chitauri to dust. "You okay?" She called out to the woman, not hearing her again.

Looking to where she ran off to, Evelyn found the woman clutching her knees to her chest. She knelt in front of her and masked the shock realizing it was the same waitress from the other day she was at the café with Steve.

"Hey." Evelyn gave a small smile to the woman and she finally looked up, her frantic eyes widening seeing Evelyn and she could tell she recognized her as well. "I need you to get off the streets, okay?"

The woman nodded, shakily getting on her feet as four more flying crafts flew towards them. The woman whimpered seeing them but Evelyn nodded at her, pushing her away.

"Go!" She ordered. "Go, hide in the bank!"

Evelyn turned back sending a blast to one of them, making it explode and ducked for cover as the others started shooting. She expertly sent a blast at one of the drivers which killed it, the craft crashing down. Having not used her powers in combat full force for a while now, Evelyn's blast couldn't reach the craft. The Chitauri quickly shot at her and she held her hands in front of her to stop the attack with a wave of flare. Nonetheless, it still reached her, sending her flying back to a car.

"Ow." Evelyn coughed in pain, the midsection of her suit now torn up and bloody.

As she struggled to get on her feet, the Chitauri rounding her were struck by lightning. Evelyn looked up and saw Thor flying by, continuing his assault.

"Thanks Thor." She breathed out and leaned against the car to catch her breath.

Hearing loud whirring, Evelyn spotted army tanks finally arriving on the scene. More soldiers arrived with them, shooting at the Chitauri, amazed of what was going on.

"Captain." Clint spoke up. "The bank on 42nd, past Madison. They cornered a lot of civilians there."

"I'm on it." Evelyn heard Steve's reply and cursed under her breath for sending the waitress to the bank.

With a wince, she pushed herself off the car and ran ahead, seeing Steve's red, white and blue shield ahead, jumping into the bank. Before she could go in, Steve was blasted out of the window a minute later, his mask off. Evelyn hurried to his side and helped him on his feet.

"Hey..." Steve breathed out, covered in cuts and bruises much like Evelyn. "You okay?"

"Oh this little thing?" Evelyn replied pointing at her stomach where there was a large whole in her suit. "A gift from one of my alien friends."

Steve lightly chuckled at her as the police led the civilians out of the bank. Evelyn's eyes caught sight of the waitress and nodded at her, the woman gratefully smiling back at her, even at her shocked state.

"Come on, old man." Evelyn patted Steve's shoulder. "We got more incoming."

Evelyn, Steve and Thor fought with a hoard of Chitauri, as more replaced the ones they killed. Steve and Thor threw their respective shield and hammer to fight off Chitauri warriors as Evelyn stood between them, burning the ones sneaking around them. As Evelyn missed one, Steve got shot in the ribs and dropped to the ground, Thor sending a car rolling towards some of them and Evelyn sending a flare after it. Thor helped Steve to his feet and chuckled.

"You two ready for another bout?"

"What?" Steve smiled, almost out of breath. "You getting sleepy?"

"No, but I'm damn thirsty." Evelyn replied smacking her dry lips making the men chuckle.

"I can close it!" Natasha's voice came through their earpieces. "Can anybody copy? I can shut the portal down!"

"Do it!" Steve replied, looking at the Tower.

"No, wait!" Tony spoke in a hurry.

"Stark, these things are still coming!" Steve replied and Evelyn saw a new hoard of troops flying down from the portal.

"I got a nuke coming in, it's gonna blow in less than a minute." Tony replied making Evelyn's eyes widen in shock.

"A nuke?!" She asked incredulously, looking at the sky to see if she could see it.

"And I know just where to put it." Tony continued with a mumble.

"Stark, you know that's a one way trip."

"Tony!" Evelyn called out. "Don't do anything rash!"

Tony didn't answer her and instead flew by them, redirecting the missile, barely missing Stark Tower. They all watched helplessly as he pushed it up towards the portal.

"Tony, drop it, don't go-" Evelyn's words got caught in her throat when Tony disappeared through the portal with the nuke. "In..."

After a couple of seconds, the Chitauri warriors began collapsing, the Leviathans falling from the sky. They all looked around as they did, Evelyn not moving her eyes from the portal.

"Come on, Tony." She whispered, her throat burning.

"Close it." Steve told Natasha as the blast from the nuke would get out if they waited any longer.

Evelyn bit her lip and turned away, clenching her fists. She closed her eyes to push the tears back when she heard Steve's voice.

"Son of a gun!" He exclaimed with a light chuckle and Evelyn turned around in a flash, seeing Tony coming out of the portal.

"He's not slowing down." Thor stated as Tony plummeted towards the ground.

"Thor, get up there!" Evelyn shouted keeping her eyes on Tony.

Thor got ready to fly and catch Tony right before Hulk grabbed him out of the air, sliding down the side of a building and crashing to the ground in front of them. He threw Tony off him and they all ran over. Thor yanked off his face plate and Steve listened for a heartbeat, Evelyn throwing herself on her knees next to him.

"Come on." She mumbled checking for a pulse. "Wake up, god dammit!"

Evelyn punched Tony's chest, seeing how the arc reactor was not glowing. As she raised her voice, Hulk roared loudly looking at them. Shocked, Tony gasped and opened his eyes, looking around.

"What the hell?!" He exclaimed looking around frantically and Evelyn let out a breath. "What just happened? Please tell me nobody kissed me."

"We won." Steve replied panting as Evelyn slumped against him, resting her head against his shoulder.

"All right. Hey. All right." Tony mumbled putting his head back on the ground. "Good job, guys. Let's just not come in tomorrow. Let's just take a day. You ever tried shawarma?" He addressed Thor who had his eye on the Stark Tower as Evelyn and Steve smiled at each other. "There's a shawarma joint about two blocks from here. I don't know what it is but I wanna try it."

"We're not finished yet." Thor pointed at the Tower and they all looked up, knowing they had to go get Loki.

"And then shawarma after?"