Chapter 52

I walked inside the building as I was murmuring a made up melody, trying not to look suspicious.

"Emily?"

Shit. I decided to ignore it and continued walking even through I had no idea where to go.

As I heard footsteps behind me coming closer, I started speed walking.

"C'mon Emily stop." Nat chuckled and ran after me to stop me.

"Please go away, you are messing up my plan." I cried out way over dramatically and kept looking around, hoping I didn't draw any attention to myself.

"And what exactly is your plan?" she asked and walked by my side to the nearest elevator.

"I'll let you know when I come up with it." I mumbled and pressed the elevator button.

"Aren't you supposed to be on a flight, back to New York?" Nat asked as we walked into the elevator.

"Honestly Nat, have I ever done anything that Tony told me to do? I don't think so." I said as I tried to think of which floor should I choose to go to.

Nat sighed and pressed a button before I could.

"Just please tell me that you are not planning to help Barnes. Cause you have no chance to win in this fight Emily." she said and quickly glanced at the dog tags that were resting on my chest, around my neck.

As I caught her glance, I awkwardly zipped up my jacket, which made her shake her head. "You have no idea how serious this is."

"I think I know how serious this is far more than you and all of your agent friends around here." I blasted, annoyed by the fact that she was one of the people who believed that it was all Bucky's fault. Impatiently I tapped my foot against the floor, hoping that the elevator ride will be over soon.

As soon as the door opened, I walked out demented. This floor was full of people I never met before. After walking past many doors and offices, I finally saw familiar faces. Steve and Tony were in a room with clear walls. By what I could could see, it looked like Tony was trying to make Steve sign a document. I sighed and shook my head as I realised that it was probably Sokovia Accord.

They didn't seem to notice me so I kept walking around, hoping to find Sam.

Woah how desperate I must've been that I was looking for him?! That I was, in fact, hoping to find Sam ... damn after all of this is over I'm definitely going to get some therapy.

When I finally found him, I almost ran towards him.

His eyes widened when he saw me coming into the room.

"Didn't expect to see you again?" he said and walked closer to me, weirdly a small smile appeared on his face.

"Hate to say it but I'm so glad that I found you." I said a bit out of breath and leaned my back on the wall.

Sam shook his head and chuckled slightly. "Don't expect me to say that I'm glad to see you. Or happy to see you. I didn't hit my head enough to forget what an ass you are."

"Deep deep inside I know you love me and my ass." I said confidently and tapped his shoulder encouragingly, before I went to sit down on the chair by the table.

Sam snorted loudly but before he could say anything, someone walked into the room, opening the door very harshly.

I turned around and saw Steve, who seemed extremely upset. I knew it must've been because of Tony. I smiled slightly since his behaviour told me that he probably didn't sign the Accords. Finally he has done something right.

My eyes were immediately drawn to the other side, where I saw Tony and a few other agents standing, looking at the screens as if they were waiting on something to show up.

Just a few seconds later, Nat appeared next to him and whispered something into his ear.

I knew what it was. "This bitch..." I mumbled, slightly annoyed as my thoughts were confirmed. Tony immediately turned around, directly in my way and shook his head disappointed. Then he turned away and didn't look at my way again.

Well he would find out sooner or later anyway.

Suddenly the screens turned on. My heart stopped as I saw Bucky on one of them, sitting there in some kind of a cube with no way out.

"What's this? What are they doing?" I asked quickly, looking at Steve and Sam.

"Psychological evaluation." Steve replied as he walked closer to the screens.

"Why can't we hear what they're saying?" I asked as I walked closer to the screens as well.

Steve smiled sadly. "I'm pretty sure you know why."

He had a point.

I flinched by surprise as suddenly the volume turned on. Steve and I turned around immediately, wondering why would they suddenly let us hear it.

Not that we didn't want to, it was just quite unexpected.

I could see Sharon, Peggy's niece, standing just a few meters behind us, which probably meant that she was the one who turned on the sound.

I nodded as a thank you before I quickly looked back at the screens.

"Hello Mr. Barnes. I've been sent by the United Nations to evaluate you. Do you mind if I sit?" said the man, probably a psychologist and sat down by the table a few meters away from Bucky. I couldn't see his face, which kinda bothered me but at least I could see Bucky.

If I only could tell him, somehow, that I'm here and I would do anything to help him to get out of this. If I could only feel his arms around me for one more time.

"Your first name is James? I'm not here to judge you. I just hoped to ask you a few questions." the man continued as I rolled my eyes. Psychologist or not, I could tell that this man was a liar. "Do you know where you are James?"

Bucky stayed quiet.

"I can't help you if you don't talk to me."

"Yeah cause your intention is definitely to help him." I sarcastically mumbled at the screen, even though he couldn't hear me.

Steve put his hand on my shoulder to calm me down since it was obvious that I was right about to do something stupid.

"My name is Bucky."

I looked back at the screen immediately as I heard his voice. Just hearing him made me calm down a bit. But the pain and emptiness in his voice was heart-rending.

"Tell me Bucky. You've seen a great deal haven't you?" the psychologist continued.

This was so unfair and cruel. They wanted him to just casually talk about the past decades, just like it wasn't at all a traumatic time for him?! Like he was actually in charge of everything that he did?!

Damn I was right about to snap and break the stupid glass wall but Steve stopped me once again.

"It's not worth it. Not the right time." he assured me quickly.

"I don't want to talk about it." Bucky replied. With every word he spoke my heart skipped a beat.

"You feel that if you open your mouth the horrors might never stop." the psychologist pretended to understand and stayed quiet for a bit. "Don't worry. We only have to talk about one."

After that the room went quiet and the screens turned off.