Chapter 21

After sitting there in silence I looked on my left.

"What do you want Rogers?" I mumbled.

"Honestly? I just want to find my best friend."

"I can't help you. I already told you that."

"But you already did it one time. Now I'm going to help you to find him again." he replied hopefully.

"But he doesn't want to be found." I sighed.

"Did he tell you that?" Steve asked.

"Not directly..." I mumbled. "But he made it pretty clear that I don't belong in his life. And that's okay. I'm a big girl, I can handle it."

To be honest I was trying really hard to make myself believe that.

"You know that he's in a terrible condition right now. He doesn't know who he is and because of his past he's a wanted man." explained Steve.

I looked down. "You know Steve, I really want to help him, but ..."

"If someone else finds him before we do, he's going to be in big trouble." He interrupted me. "Why do you think that you are all over the news? Everyone thinks you know where Bucky is and they are not planning to get informations from you in a nice way. Cause they are sure you have answers. I know you don't but you can help me to find them."

"So if I understand correctly... you have nothing to do with people who are looking for me?" I asked still a bit confused.

"No but with our connections we managed to find you before anyone else did. They almost got you when that guy called but luckily we weren't far away."

"So you are telling me that I can't go home now?" I asked and looked at him.

"Emily. They are saying you murdered 12 innocent people." Steve said quietly.

"What?!" I couldn't believe his words. "I didn't do that! Who said that?!" I got really stressed and angry.

"Calm down I know you didn't. But that's their tactic to get people to call if they see you. The Winter Soldier situation is, for now, still a classified case so they don't talk about it on the news. Right now you are just known as the mass murderer." he tried to calm me down.

"Was that supposed to help me calm down?!" I almost yelled at him.

"Well it sounded much better in my head." he said and gave me a small sad smile. "Look...it's gonna be okay." he said and put his hand on my shoulder. "We will help you but we need you to help us."

"It's not like I have much of a choice." I mumbled quietly.

"Now, how about we go back to the car now and get you somewhere save?"

I nodded.

Steve got up on his feet and offered me his hand to help me stand up.

"Thank you." I said quietly as I got up.

"Just promise me something." Steve said as we were heading to the car.

I looked at him with a questioning look.

"Try not to kill Sam. He's a great guy, you two just ..." he didn't really know how to finish his sentence.

"I can't make a promise that I most likely won't keep." I said and smiled slightly.

"Fair enough." he said before we sat into the car.

Without saying anything Nat started the car and drove off.

We were driving for about 2 hours. Every once in a while Sam and Nat talked for a bit and Steve kept making sure that I was alright.

I was happy when the car stopped since my back was starting to hurt. I tried to get out of the car but the door was locked.

"I can't op-..." before I could finish I was the only one left in the car. I rolled my eyes and moved to the other side where Steve just got out.

This door were also locked. And so were the ones at the front seats.

I knocked on the car window to get their attention. They didn't seem to get bothered though.

They were actually standing just a few meters away, talking. Steve was talking on his phone and Nat was waving at someone.

After a while someone joined them. I recognised him. It was the guy that tortured me or as he called it trained me that one day that seemed like ages ago. Clint Barton.

I kept knocking on the window but they kept ignoring me. This was getting ridiculous.

Finally someone remembered my existence. Sam looked at my way.

I tried to show him that the doors were locked but he just smirked and shrugged.

Before I could break the window, which I was right about to do, they started walking my way. I heard the car getting unlocked.

I opened the door and walked out fast. "This is another level of lame."

"Get your pretty face back into the car." said Sam still smirking annoyingly.

"Pretty face? Is that some kind of an inside joke?" I asked confused and crossed my arms on my chest.

"Cap told me to be nicer to you but you're making it really hard." he replied just when Steve slapped his back to make him shut up.

"Thank you for that." I nodded at Steve and smiled.

"Now you are going with me." said Clint and pointed at the car.

"Oh no no no you gotta be kidding me." I cried (not really) and looked at him with horror in my eyes.

"He's just getting you to the place where no one will find you." Steve said, obviously confused by my behaviour.

"Yeah. Heaven. Cause that's where I'm going if you make me train with him one more time."

They all laughed.

"I don't find this funny at all." I said shaking my head.

"Actually it's hilarious that you think that you're going to heaven since there is this place called hell that was literally made for people like you." said Sam, trying to keep a serious expression.

"Okay that's enough." I said as I stormed towards him and dragged him on the ground.

"Emily!" yelled Nat in shock and covered her mouth.

"Not again. C'mon you have to go." said Steve who didn't seem much surprised by my actions.

I sat on Sam's chest with my legs on his arms to block them from moving. With my right hand around his neck and the left one pressed on his forehead, pushing his head towards the ground.
"You know for a while I thought I hated you. But now I realised that hating you would imply that I care. Which I don't. I don't care about you at all." I mumbled as I kept holding his neck more and more tightly.

Then, unfortunately, Steve pulled me away from him.

Sam got up immediately and coughed. "You psychotic woman!" he shouted as he was trying to catch his breath.

"Only for you dear." I smirked at him and sat inside the car.

Clint, who had no idea what was going on, just shrugged and sat inside the car as well.

Before we drove away, I waved at Steve and Nat.

And of course I didn't forget about Sam. For him, I used a special gesture, which was showing him my middle finger while smirking the same way he usually does.