Chapter 46

I kept walking for a while till I reached one of the emergency exists. I walked outside and sat down. At first I hesitated since it was raining just a few minutes ago and the grass was wet but I decided that I will deal with wet pants later. I leaned my back on the wall and looked at the sky.

I may have pretended like I didn't care but of course I cared. I spent half of the year training for this, to become one of the Avengers, but now everything was screwed up.

There was no way that I was gonna sign the Accords since I didn't agree with it in any way. At first I might have thought for a second, that it wasn't such a bad idea but quickly I realised that becoming 'government's employees' was the worst thing that could happen to Avengers. We would become soldiers with no right to make decisions ourselves.

But then again, I didn't want it to be over.

Suddenly I remembered the deal I made with Steve.

"After you become an Avenger, by that I mean when you are finished with all the necessary training and survive at least one mission, you are going to tell me everything you know about Bucky."

Is the deal still on if I retire?

Just as I got lost in my thoughts, the door on my right opened. It was Steve. He didn't saw me at first and I could see it on his face that something was wrong. Was it about the Accords?

As a single tear streamed down his cheek he quickly rubbed his eyes.

I never knew how to react when someone was crying next to me so I kept sitting there in silence.

Cap took a deep breath. Then he noticed me. He flinched slightly as he was obviously not expecting me here.

"Emily... Why are you here?" he asked quickly with slightly raspy voice.

I raised my eyebrows. "I kinda live here so ..."

He smiled slightly but the sadness in his eyes was painful to watch.

"What happened?" I asked carefully as I gestured him to sit down.

He took a deep breath and thought for a while but then made a choice to sit down.

I looked at him as I waited for his answer.

"My ... friend ... passed away." he said, looking down at his hands.

"I'm so sorry..." I said quietly, not really knowing what else to say. I was extremely bad at this type of conversations.

Steve looked in front of him just as if he was trying to recall a memory. "When I came back I thought everyone I knew was gone. But then ..."

I looked at him quickly as my heart stopped. "Who are we talking about?" I asked, hoping it didn't sound too insensitive. I was praying that I won't hear that one name.

Steve looked at me and he immediately realised what I was thinking about. "Her name was Peggy." he said and rubbed his eyes once again.

As cruel as this might sound I let out a relieved breath. Steve smiled sadly. He knew that I was worried that he was talking about Bucky.

The pain and emptiness I felt just thinking about losing him was unexplainable. Bucky was never really mine but the thought of losing him broke my heart.

"I'm leaving for London. For the funeral." Steve said quietly with a broken voice. I felt horrible for him.

"I can come with you. I mean ... if you want me to. I know I didn't know her but ... I don't think that you should go by yourself. I mean, you can if you want to though. Fuck I'm so sorry... I make no sense." I shook my head, wishing I didn't say anything at all.

"Thank you." he replied which honestly surprised me.

"Your dad and Peggy were great friends. I think that if things ... ended up differently, you would probably meet her before. And I feel like you two would really get along." Steve said as he stood up and offered me a hand to help me stand up. I smiled and took it.

We agreed to meet at the main entrance in an hour since he had some stuff to sort out. I, however, walked to my room to take some basic stuff that I would probably need on the way.

As I opened the door, the first things I noticed, was Tony sitting on my bed. With a file in his hands, flipping through the pages.

In panic I quickly closed the door, hoping that he didn't see me. I stared at the door for a few moments.

He defenetlly saw me and there was no way to get away from this.

I opened the door once again, hoping that he just wanted to talk about the fact that the shirt I wore on one of the photos belonged to him but I kinda stole it before I left home for the first time. WHAT?! I WAS BEING OPTIMISTIC!

As I slowly walked towards the closet, his eyes followed me. I tried to ignore it and act natural. Let's just say that I failed terribly.

Tony closed the file while still looking at me. "Why so many secrets?" he asked as I took my good old rucksack and threw it on the bed.

"I don't know what you're talking about." I mumbled as I opened the drawer by the bed, looking for my passport.

He sighed as he opened the file and threw about five photos on the bed.

I quickly glanced at them as I kept looking for the passport.

"Who's that guy?" he asked as his eyes studied my face.

"An associate from previous job." I said as I finally found what I was looking for and threw it in the rucksack.

"Don't give me that shit. I can see the date on the photos. Since then you keep wearing the same jacket as the guy on the photo which makes me think that he is not just an associate. And don't even try to say that it's a coincidence..." he said and stood up.

"It's a coincidence." I stated as if it was a fact. I knew it wasn't gonna work but at least I bought me some time.

I threw some more stuff in the rucksack as I put on a jacket.

"Emilia Stark don't try to outsmart me. I tried to find anything about this guy and you know what I found? Nothing. Which makes me think that there is something about him that you don't want me to know. Cause if he was just a regular man, you would've told me about him."

"Tony, I'm 26. I don't think I have to tell you about every guy I talk to." I stopped with my hand on the doorknob and turned towards him. "Imagine if I expected the same from you when you were my age. That would be ... a lot to talk about." I said as I opened the door.

Tony closed his eyes for a moment and shook his head. "Where are you going now?"

"A friend needs ... some company since he just found out a horrible news." I said, trying not to tell too much since I didn't know if Steve wanted me to talk about it.

"Friends? You?" he raised his eyebrows and crossed his arms which meant he disapproved whatever I was up to.

I shook my head. "That was cold brother." I said and then actually left.

I walked out of the building. Steve wasn't there yet but somebody else was. Sam.

"Oh god please tell me ..." I started but he interrupted me.

"It's exactly as it looks like." he said and smirked annoyingly.

"Looks like Steve's going to attend another funeral." I mumbled and crossed my arms as I glared at him.

This is going to be a loooooong flight.