Chapter 44

"HOW DID THIS HAPPEN!?"

Damn. Since when is screaming an appropriate way to bring someone back to life?! Well at least it's affective.

I opened my eyes to see where I was. In my bed. I struggled to keep my eyes opened but I did recognise two silhouettes, standing on the other side of the room.

"Why... Why did you let her do this?!" said Tony as he rubbed his eyes stressed.

"I thought you knew." Nat replied quietly, obviously lying.

The memories slowly started coming back. Lagos. Rumlow. Food stand. Steve. Knife. Bucky.

I slowly moved my hand towards my stomach. I couldn't feel the wound since it was covered with bandages.

"Where's Rogers?! He's got some explaining to do." Tony hissed and stormed out of the room.

Nat sighed and took a quick glance at me. Her eyes widened when she realised that I was awake.

"Oh thank god you're awake!" she said quickly and almost ran towards me.

"After hearing Tony I think it would be better if you just let me bleed out." I mumbled.

"I don't think it's you who needs to worry about Tony. When he found out that Steve was the one who pushed you ..." she didn't finish her sentence since the door opened. It was Steve.

Nat looked at him and then back at me to see my reaction.

"The butcher has arrived!" I said and clapped.

Steve shook his head and sat down on the chair by the bed. "I'm so sorry..." he said and looked at me.

I rolled my eyes. "Don't. Don't even start." I interrupted him.

Nat slowly backed off and left the room.

"I shouldn't have done that. It was stupid and immature." he said and looked down at his hands.

"Personally I would call it behaviour of a mental grandpa but sure I can go with stupid and immature." I nodded as I reached towards the night table and took a juicebox since my mouth was completely dry.

"When he mentioned Bucky..."

I almost choked on juice that I tried to swallow.

Steve quickly looked at me, questioning what to do but before he thought of anything I was fine again.

"C'mon! That was the second time I almost died because of you!" I said in a joking way and sat up, which caused some severe pain and dizziness but it all passed after a few moments. Almost all. I don't even know how but I ended up throwing up all over Steve.

My eyes widened as I covered my mouth.

"Oh god ..." Steve mumbled and stood up quickly, trying to hide it but I could see the disgust on his face.

"I think we're even now." I said and pointed towards the bathroom door, still trying to process what just happened.

When he closed the door I bursted out laughing. It wasn't even funny but the way that he tried to act like it was not a big deal cracked me up.

My laughing session was interrupted by the entrance of Tony. I swallowed as my heart started beating faster. Suddenly I didn't feel like laughing anymore.

He sat on the bed next to me and gave me a warm but worried smile.

"I'm so glad that you are okay." I could hear the relief in his voice as he slowly pulled me into a tight hug.

My sudden movement made me groan since the pain was sudden and strong.

Tony broke the hug. "Do you need anything? I'll be right back with a doctor." he rushed with words and stood up.

"No no no I'm fine." I stopped him which I immediately regretted. It would've been much better if he left at that moment.

Steve walked out of the bathroom. I literally slapped my face when I saw that he was not wearing a shirt. It made sense since it was covered in my vomit but it was the worst timing for that.

"Wha- Wha- What are you doing here?!" said Tony, completely in shock since this was probably the last thing he expected.

"I threw up." I said quickly.

Tony looked at me. "And how does that explain half naked Cap, who almost killed you by the way, in your bathroom?!" with every word he got more mad.

"Cause I threw up on him." I said like it was completely obvious. By the look on Tony's face I could tell he didn't believe me which made me a bit upset.

"You can go see and smell the shirt if it's so hard to believe me for once."I said a bit annoyed.

"Why was he even in your room?! Why was he THAT close that you were actually able to throw up on him?!" Tony shouted.

I've had enough. I took a pillow from behind my head and threw it at his face. "MAYBE BECAUSE HE'S MY FRIEND WHO FELT GUILT AFTER I ALMOST DIED." I shouted back.

I could tell that Steve was getting extremely uncomfortable so I gestured him to get out of the room.

Tony tried to stop him but I kept him occupied by throwing another pillow at his face.

"Stop doing that!" he mumbled and picked up both pillows.

He walked towards me to return them on their place.

"Why didn't you tell me?" he asked quietly after a while and sat down on the chair.

"Because you would try to stop me." I mumbled as I took a few deep breaths to calm myself down.

Tony scratched his scalp and shook his head. "It hurts that you trust Rogers more than you trust me."

I looked at him. He was hurt and I could see a tiny bit of regret in his eyes.

"I'm sorry." was all I could say.

Without looking he gently took and squeezed my hand. Then he stood up, walked away and stopped with his hand on the doorknob. He looked at me for one last time before he left and said with cold and a bit of a sarcastic voice "Congratulations on becoming an Avenger."

I closed my eyes and right after that my phone on the night table let out a short buzzing sound. I sighed and checked the screen. It was a message from Nat. "If you feel okay please come downstairs."

Seriously? Right... it's not like I just woke up after being unconscious as a result of a severe blood loss.

I was defenetlly not okay.