Chapter 16

I'm not lying when I say I could stay in his hug forever.

While I was having him close, so close that I could hear his heartbeat and felt his hair slightly touching my face, I got a feeling that I wasn't able to explain. It was something I never felt before.

Suddenly the door opened. I literally jumped by surprise. "Oh shit.."

It was an old man, probably a janitor.

But the fact that James's first instinct was to pull me behind him to protect me, made me smile slightly.

It meant he cared.

"What are you doing in here kids?!" the old man yelled as he was pointing at us with a broomstick.

Kids? C'mon it's not like we look like we are 15.

"This was a private conversation and you kinda ruined it." I said, standing up on my toes to look at the man over James's shoulder.

Damn I only now realised that he was that tall. Or was I just small?

"THE DOOR CLEARLY SAYS STAFF ONLY!" he yelled and then looked at James. "I know you! Do you work here?"

I chuckled. James glared at me which made the situation even more hilarious.

"No actually..." I raised James's hand to walk under it, to see the man more clearly. "...his grandpa was in the 107th... and you've probably seen his photos in the museum. I'm telling you, they look identical."

"Alright alright ... but why are you in here?!" he got mad again.

"It hit him hard to see his grandpa again. They were connected. So he and his hurt soul needed some time alone." I said quickly, surprised by how fast I can lie.

The old man was looking at us suspiciously but honestly there was nothing much else he could do. "Get out..." he just said and pointed out of the door.

"Thank you very much for your understanding sir. I swear I will leave a note about your kindness at the reception. I swear, they better make you employer of the month or I will-..." As I was saying all of that, James literally had to push me out of the room and close the door before I could finish my monologue.

"What the hell was that?" he said as we were walking away.

"I was soo good wasn't I? I swear, the man had no idea I made it all up." I said laughing.

"You're crazy." he said, shaking his head and smiled slightly.

"I would rather say special but okay, we can go with crazy." I said as he opened the door for me.

"Thank you." I said as I walked through the door. "So I have a car around the corner if you need a ride or something...?" I said kinda awkwardly cause I had no idea where was he actually going.

We stood there for a while. He looked like a lost puppy.

"If it's not to much to ask..."

"Of course not. Seriously, I would be honoured." I said smiling as we walked.

I sat in the car. He stayed outside of it. I rolled down the passengers window. "Do you need help?"

"Well... do you want me to sit at the front or..-"

Once again he had this lost puppy energy.

"Sure. I mean I need to keep an eye on you in case you decide to try to kill me again." I said casually.

He looked down.

"Shit, too soon..." I said, closed my eyes, regretting saying that.

He sat in the car. I gave him an apologising look. "Please never take me too seriously. I have big mouth and sometimes I say stuff that I regret immediately after I say them."

"It's okay." was all that he said before we drove away.

"So... where?" I asked as I tried to change the radio station while driving.

"I don't know." he said quietly as he was watching me changing the radio station. He looked impressed by the technology which I found quite funny.

"I see. Then I guess you are stuck with me pal." I said smiling as I finally found the right song. "Listen to this. That's my band." I said as I was singing along to Story Of my Life, performing a concert and tried to drive, all at the same time.