CHAPTER XXXV. Between Two Sides

──────────────────────────

Inari audibly slipped out a guttural growl, a primal sound resonating throughout the space, a stark warning to everyone in the vicinity. His auric gaze, a vibrant and otherworldly gold, narrowed down sharply at the man standing before them. His tail flared with cautiousness as he took his defensive stance. Positioned by Klaus, his keen eyes remained fixed on the enemy who had yet to utter a single word.

Silence—utter quietness.

No words were spoken, leaving only their thumping heartbeats and the sound of ragged breaths filling the charged stillness. The air rippled with unseen energy, a post-effect after the surprise attack that left them all on heightened alert.

Xierra coughed as the wave of dust spread throughout the field, hastily covering her mouth with one hand while the other clung to Yuno for support. Blinking through the stinging sensation, her eyes teared up as she attempted to discern her surroundings amidst the aftermath.

Once the dust settled, Yuno and Xierra hurried to Mimosa's side. They observed how Inari and Klaus had swiftly positioned themselves in front of her, shielding her from the brunt of the attack.

"Mimosa," Xierra tenderly called, her voice steady despite the internal chaos. Following Inari's teachings, she sought to keep any traces of panic at bay. Gently cradling Mimosa's injured form in her arms, Xierra carefully inspected the girl, relieved to find her still breathing.

A quiet and unnoticeable sigh of relief escaped Xierra's lips as she assessed Mimosa's condition.

"Ngh...!" Mimosa whimpered, her breath escaping in small gasps. The intense pain searing through her back from the attack caused involuntary shivers.

Klaus rushed to their side, swiftly switching places with Yuno and maintaining a vigilant stance. Worry crept into both his face and voice as he questioned the Crimson Lion mage, "She's alive, right?" Pushing his glasses out of habit, he awaited an answer, his eyes focused on Mimosa's writhing form.

Xierra nodded, her lips pursed with concern, though she remained somewhat uncertain about the precise details of Mimosa's condition. Yet, it was undeniable that Mimosa was alive and breathing. The primary casualty was the severe burn on her back.

Klaus' eyes twitched upon noticing the torn Magic Shielding Cloak that Golden Dawn members always wore. Frowning, he pondered, Mana detection's her specialty, and she didn't notice? It wasn't a trap spell... What is this magic?!

Whoever their enemy was, they possessed a skill that managed to elude both Inari and Mimosa's usually sharp mana-sensing abilities. The fact that Inari, with his heightened senses, detected nothing of this threat was particularly perplexing.

The anomaly in Inari's reaction added an extra layer of concern for Klaus. From the feral response of the fox spirit, Klaus deduced that even Inari had not anticipated this situation. While Klaus harbored a discreet admiration for Inari's usually sensitive mana detection, the fox's failure to sense the approaching enemy heightened the overall sense of unease among them.

Klaus gritted his teeth, his jaw clenched tightly as his attention snapped towards the resounding footsteps drawing nearer. "Who are you?!"

A frown made its way onto Xierra's visage. While her primary concern lay with Mimosa's condition, she found herself grappling with the helplessness of not being able to mend the injuries. The relentless approach of the footsteps marked the ticking clock of an impending confrontation in the treasure hall, fostering not only concern for the current enemy but also an uneasy anticipation of an unforeseen future that sent shivers down her spine.