CHAPTER VIII. Hopes for the Future

──────────────────────────

He gave us the courage to move forward
when we were too scared to even move.
No matter how far we went ahead,
he stuck with us and came along.

Memories of the past were always something they would always remember. They were fond moments, their childhood, and their history together. Even if some things were never meant to change, the future was something they could carve with their own hands. Hopes and dreams were something meant for them to reach out and to make true—to make a reality.

And the scene before them was one of the hopes that realized itself.

Xierra was almost ready to not survive this whole fight, but when she saw how Revchi was thrown against the brick wall in front of them, she was quite sure that she need not fear any longer. The large dent that cracked the wall was something she needed to take note of, though. Explaining this to the mayor and Father Orsi would have to take some time.

Asta planted his sword on the ground, causing Xierra to wince at the impact it made. From the sound it made, it seemed heavy. But looking at how Asta had been enhancing and training his muscles instead of relying on his magic to appear, Xierra didn't need to worry.

Inari moved from Yuno's head down to Xierra's shoulder, snuggling closer and basking in her warmth. He couldn't admit that he liked it better with his master rather than on top of the head of someone he "just" met. Feeling assured now that the battle was over, Inari's once-mischievous grin faded into a calmer one. Xierra laughed at the sigh Inari gave, letting out another sigh to trail behind.

"That sure took a long while," she commented.

Xierra had completely forgotten about her hand that was clasped tightly in Yuno's. Her light-blue orbs landed on Revchi's unconscious form.

His eyes only showed his sclera and the subtle nerves protruding when he was forcing his body through the pain of defeat. At the same time, his wavy black locks were all over the place. Xierra perked up at the sight of the scar adorning the mage's face. That was the first time she noticed it.

"Was that always there?" she muttered out loud, unconsciously leaving Yuno's hand and walking towards the thrown body.

"What was?" Yuno queried, arching an eyebrow. He then looked in the same direction she was looking at. Spotting nothing odd, the male wore question marks all over his face.

Xierra glanced back and giggled in amusement. "The scar. I never noticed it before."

"A battle scar," Yuno confirmed flatly. He walked behind Xierra, keeping a close distance from her curious figure.

Nearing Revchi, she could hear some faint incoherent sound coming from him. But they're barely noticeable. "Ugh... Gah..."

"The sounds he emits in his head are quite the undesirable and disturbing ones," Inari said, swinging his bushy black tail left to right as he craned his head up at the former magic knight. "Better for you to close your ears and not listen to the filth he is spewing, Master."

"I'm guessing that you can hear what he's thinking about?" Xierra chuckled, putting aside her grimoire before straightening herself.

Inari scoffed. "I'm surprised that you cannot."

"I don't have superhuman abilities, Inari."

"Quite the opposite, Master." Inari snickered, hiding away the facts that he buried with his memories. Ignoring his master's puzzled look, he cleared his throat and put his tail in front of him. "Although, he was quite the strong opponent."