CHAPTER XXVIII. Gems and Jewels Pt. 1

──────────────────────────

Xierra's mind drifted back to the star Leopold flashed them a few hours ago. It was smaller than she had expected a point tracker to be. Maybe something fancier in her mind, but nothing that would pass the eye. Sighing, she figured that it would do just well for a mere job of keeping track of their achievements.

Those said stars were given by the wizard king himself, she heard. She wondered what the current wizard king was like. Perhaps, braver than the stories told, cunning and clever in a way. Maybe dashing like most gushed. Or even just a random man, striving to make Clover a better and safer place to live in. Or maybe, he was a wise man as what the people spoke—someone who won every battle for Clover to be proud of.

To the knights, he was their leader.

To the people of Clover, he was a king—their wizard king.

Xierra let out a small scoff and smiled to herself, wondering if that oh-so-faraway dream was even more impossible than she thought it was. A man who was so looked upon by his people—the wizard king was someone who carried the burdens of a country, the hope of his people, and the expectations that were set.

And Xierra wasn't someone who could ever hope to achieve those hopes and wishes.

She knew that, perhaps, deep down, the wizard king was a normal man like her and any other. He was human—not so perfect, and not so godly. Oh, she wished he was a normal human being, just like her, Yuno, and Asta. Or else, it would be near impossible to catch up to the dream they shared.

No one in this world would be able to win any battle without a couple of setbacks. Losses and imperfections in the records were what allowed humans to grow stronger. She, him, and them all.

But, then again, even if those rumors were true...

Xierra hummed, giggling without a care in the world and unable to contain her excitement. "A man who wins every battle," she recited.

Who wouldn't adore a man like that?

"What got you giggling all giddy like that?" Rhein chuckled, glancing back at his partner in pure curiosity. "You know you look crazy right now, right?"

Xierra ignored his smirks and laughed along. "Nah, we're high up in the skies," she said as she swung her legs around whilst balancing her broom. "No one would know the thoughts I hide or the dreams I have. Even the clouds that accompany the bright blue sky wouldn't know."

"Huh... Even Inari?" Rhein teased, side-eyeing Inari who was gripping hard on his master's newly-given crimson robe.

"Don't involve me in your problems. I'm not a psychic that could always guess what my master is thinking." Inari clawed deeper into Xierra's robe and pushed himself forward, flinging his body onto her shoulder for support. "And stop riding your broom like it's a horse, Master. I'm going to vomit at this rate."

Rhein closed the gap between them and crossed his arms, daring to let go of his hold. "I'm more surprised that you're still able to ride a broom after fainting."

"Oh?" Xierra looked at him. "And why is that?"

"I heard that people can forget how to ride a broom after falling unconscious," Rhein joked, snickering and putting a bit of distance from Xierra to dodge her playful hit.

"Hey, who told you that? On what basis can they claim such a thing?"

"I know. Nonsense, huh?"

In a comforting silence, they flew above lush forests and hills, beyond the walls of their headquarters, and beyond the boundaries of a place they called their second home.