CHAPTER XXII. The Sprout That Grows

──────────────────────────

The dragon of the deepest
ocean has been awakened.
Tell me, dear humans,
how will you survive now?

Maturity could stem from the wizard's mana and magical powers that grew through training or improving the creativity of their magic. In the event where it improvised through sheer determination and courage, that was when the unheard law of the universe began to take action.

Humans are an enigma, Inari kept to himself, slipping his smile into a smaller curl. He slid away from the children's grasps and snuck behind his master, watching the dome of water swirling in all its mighty glory. They are and will always be a mystery I can never solve—a being of evil and good that balances the world, yet saves and destroys it over and over again.

He glanced at Xierra, then at Noelle. The way her beige grimoire floated leisurely beside her showed him the sense of relief that washed over her mind, just like everybody else.

Inari waited for Xierra's command, keeping himself wary of his surroundings. He had taught her before. Even if the situation seemed to have turned to their side of the table, there might still be an ambush hidden amongst the shadows, an enemy waiting to attack, a spy blending with them.

Although he couldn't sense any other mana other than theirs, he felt uneasy. A tingling feeling made his furs stand on their ends, stiff and sharp.

A low growl escaped his lips, louder than he wanted. Xierra spared him a glance, curious. "What's wrong, Inari?" she asked with a hushed voice.

The fox shook his head but dared not get rid of his premonition. "Nothing much, Master. But do keep your guard up. The fight isn't over just yet."

The sounds of harsh splashing and a drowned voice reached their ears. They turned to see the icicles hitting the dome, only to be stomached by the whirlpools that deemed them gone. The dragon surrounding them roared, biting on the last bits that flew with its fangs.

More of the shards that were lunged proceeded to be neutralized, earning Noelle proud and content grins from her squad members and the Crimson Lion King knights.

Protected by the dome, all efforts in attacking them were in vain. The shards dissolved and became one with the dome the moment they came into contact with it. The more shards it swallowed, the thicker it became.

Inari watched them attack with no intention of giving up. He climbed onto his master's shoulders, whispering to her his plan before receiving a nod in approval. He grinned, brushing Xierra's head with his tail before striding in front of them and enlarging himself.

He stomped, shaking the ground. It was strong enough to startle them all, catching their attention.

Inari's grin widened and he stomped again. This time, the earth cracked slowly, revealing a golden light beneath them, originating from his paws and trailing toward Heath and his men.

The cracks slowly made their way to their feet before splitting in half to circle them and seemingly trapping them inside their grasp.

When all eyes were on Inari, the more they realized that he was beyond the dome's reach, standing outside on all fours.

Xierra froze, frowning slightly. This wasn't what he said he would do, she grimly recalled, not liking the situation one bit. She saw how he was relentlessly showered with attacks. It was a miracle how he was able to evade them without wounding himself in the process.