INTERLUDE CHAPTER. The Journey of Life

──────────────────────────

Almost everyone knows the story behind my origin.

But not everyone knows of my existence.

I remain an unknown legend, dusting away in the corner of yet another library.

And yet, when that fox spirit told that old story to the child that wields my grimoire, I was beyond ecstatic. Mixed, to be exact. I stand on the borderline of happiness and perplexity. I never knew that I could feel these emotions again.

I cannot feel the warmth of the summer heat on my skin. I cannot feel the sunlight blazing through the trees and the coolness of the river, swimming along my feet. The smell of roasted fish cannot reach my nose, and the frigid air of night is nothing compared to the cold of death.

But when I see them enjoy their journey beyond their home, I feel my heart flutter.

How long has it been since I'm able to enjoy such mortal experiences?

I am not them, yet their radiance beams and reaches to the shadows of which I have been hiding in all these years.

And when that force calls for my name, I cannot help but follow them.

I watch them say goodbye to their families. Crying is something I haven't experienced in a long while. But why is it that when I see the tears of those children bid their farewells, my eyes sting and my vision blurs?

My chest aches when I hear them say their goodbyes, and yet, a sense of longing is tucked away in the corner of my little space—a space that exists for me and me only. I can never feel those emotions again, and I have no right to.

I see their determined gazes, staring ahead into the future of which they know not. No one can predict the future, not even me. The satori seers wouldn't tell me what they saw, in the past. They were lip-tight about their visions. But humans are a different matter altogether. It baffles me how they can march toward the unknown future with their heads held high.

If only all were like them, I wonder if peace would follow.

I walk behind them, listening to their every conversation.

"The royal capital, huh? I wonder what it's like?" one boy said, wandering off into the distance. He is an odd one, I think to myself. It's rare to meet someone so shunned by their kin, yet so persevering in nature. He is a fine soul.

I look to his side: A girl.

She looks a lot like me, I notice. "There will be a lot of nobles there, that's for sure." The fox on her shoulders is also similar to someone I once knew. I wonder who it is.

Humming, the last child has quite the appearance. He is taller than the last two and has a beautifully sculpted face. His hair is pitch black and he dons amber-like eyes. I don't notice when I smile. It has been a while since I got interested in another's eyes. His are particularly mesmerizing.

"I wonder if we'll get to meet the wizard king!"

"I see someone's excited."

Their conversation is a lively one, and so are they.

I do believe that this journey won't be such a bore. Chuckling, I walk ahead of them, exploring the area. Although it seems that I cannot go so far than a few meters from them. Whenever I try to do so, my body heats up and forces me to go back to where they are.

So much for exploring, I suppose.

I cannot hope much when I am in this state.

An unknown stage between life and death, even to me.