CHAPTER II. The Comfort of Life

──────────────────────────

Humanity came close to being
decimated by the demons.
But just one mage saved humankind.
He was known thereafter as the
wizard king and became a legend.

It was quite a well-known story—the first wizard king. A mage that single-handedly defeated the demon that was supposed to wipe out all of humanity. Clover, Spade, Heart, Diamond, and all the other countries would've been off the map if it wasn't for him.

Could even someone from the past be that strong?

To deal with a three-eyed demon that bore four arms and wielded otherworldly powers. One look and villages were destroyed—crumbling and becoming one with the earth.

The first wizard king had the assistance of a four-leaf grimoire; the grimoire of legends, whose powers were unknown. And as Xierra thought back to the tale of the first wizard king, the cheers of the capital reached even the little old village of Hage.

"They defeated the invaders!"

"Three cheers to our wizard king!"

"Here's to their victorious return!"

Her blue eyes left the giant demon skull that resided not far from her home.

Fifteen years had passed since then. Ever since that cold, cold night when she was brought here.

Cheers erupted from the crowds within the royal capital. With fists rising high to reach the sky, they welcomed the return of the current wizard king and the magic knight squads following behind him. They roared their triumphs out for the wizard king.

Julius Novachrono.

The dissonance of their energetic shouts resounded throughout the country. Xierra figured that it might've been some kind of sound-amplifying magic, or else, all they would be witnessing were the small and colorful fireworks set off in the distance.

It's a wonder how even at the borders, they could be heard, she mused.

Spades dug into the ground, grinding for some depths into the earth until the farmers halted their work to muse at all the chaos erupting from afar. It was not every day that they got to hear the cacophony of cheers welcoming the magic knights and the wizard king after the completion of a mission.

"The capital sure is rowdy today," one of the farmers pointed out, wiping away the sweat drenching his forehead. He let the shaft of his shovel lean slightly to him, resting his muscles as he admired the fireworks.

Another beside him nodded. "So much magic and events to celebrate," he sighed, "It seems that the wizard king makes another triumphant return."

Xierra's focus was caught by the comment as she strolled along, a basket brimming with freshly harvested crops in her grasp. Adjusting the load, she straightened herself, her gaze reflecting genuine curiosity. "The wizard king, huh?"

Despite her rural upbringing, Xierra's voice exuded unexpected elegance and softness, defying the typical expectations associated with a girl from a village setting.

The farmers then turned around, with one of them dabbing his neck with a spare cloth hanging down his shoulder. They were drenched beneath the sun's heat. Although tired, they flashed her a cheerful and grateful grin.

Another man walked to her and chuckled at her curiosity. "Yeah, the wizard king," he started, "this kingdom exists thanks to the generations of wizard kings who have protected us."