CHAPTER XII. The Entrance Exam Pt. 1

──────────────────────────

That one day when they said their vows for the second time in their lives was behind them. It was engraved in the past, becoming history with the rest of their childhood. But that promise became their everlasting dream.

A dream to reach the top, and to become the strongest.

A dream to protect the ones they loved and cared about.

A part of them thought that it was an impossible feat to achieve, but they had the power to do so. Life was unpredictable, and they had a long way ahead of them.

Inari even had the chance to scold Xierra about her doubts on their way to their destination. He was adamant that she would be able to pass the test easily with no effort. A bit of an exaggeration, she might say, but she couldn't argue much with him when he was more stubborn than she was.

Time passed by so quickly when they reached the royal capital. It had been a day or two since they arrived. It all flew by so fast that they didn't realize that in a few seconds, they were going to participate in the magic knights' entrance exam that everyone was talking about.

Throughout her walk along Kikka with the boys, she noticed how the word of the magic knights' entrance exam being held today had already spread. Castle Town Kikka was a big place, but she could still hear the event being talked about in every gang and alley of the town. If birds could talk, she would probably hear them too.

"The magic knights' entrance exam..." Xierra looked at the bright blue sky, devoid of all clouds, and stood beside Yuno. She glanced at him and watched him observe their surrounding area. The colosseum-like building they were in was in the center of Kikka. "A large stone stadium where the magic knights hold their yearly exams," she heard others describe.

Tall walls circled them and the crowds. People from all over Clover were going to participate in the exam.

It was truly a new sight for Xierra to see. Never in her life had she ever been surrounded by so many people. Even their grimoire awarding ceremony didn't count toward half the number of participants there.

"Six months of training," Xierra murmured, crossing her arms and silently watching other participants warm up. "I hope it pays off."

She felt something move on her shoulders. Guessing that it was Inari, she smiled, scratching what she expected to be his head. He made himself invisible, possibly not to attract too much attention.

Yuno stood beside her and kept his gaze glued on the other participants, eyeing them closely. He then glanced at the anxious girl beside him. "Don't worry," he began, putting a hand on her head. "You'll be fine."

She returned his gaze with a small chuckle. His touch calmed her down, to say the least. She swayed her hands by her sides and smiled. "Right. Inari would chastise me to no end if he's awake."

Xierra looked around the vicinity. It was packed with people, and more kept coming in through the gates.

"The magic knights. They are the nine best squads of mages specializing in battle that work directly under the command of the wizard king." Xierra smiled at the thought of joining one. "I wonder which squad I'll join."

She remembered the stories she would often hear from merchants and travelers that passed Hage. Whenever they stopped by the church, they kindly told her stories of their journeys and the events that happened, everything concerning Clover. Magic knights were an army of heroes that would risk their lives to protect the kingdom. That was also the biggest reason why they were admired by the entire nation.