CHAPTER XXI. Will of Steel

──────────────────────────

He clenched his fists and gritted his teeth, resisting the pain that told him to close his eyes and back down. His voice oddly sounded more like a whisper, and his eyes focused only on Xierra's form, closing in on Heath and his men.

"Why?" he asked. "Why are you pushing yourself this hard?"

His eyes followed to where Xierra's figure dashed to. Rushing into the fire with her sword in hand, bright and so full of hope. She looked so valiant, charging ahead and slashing through the ice.

Her stance, her hold, and her techniques seemed all too intimate with the way she moved. It was as if she had danced with death before. Even with aching muscles and scratches tattering their way down her skin and shredding her crimson robe, she wielded her blade so gracefully and elegantly, inviting fate to a waltz once more.

From behind the continuous explosions Magna sent and the raining ice shards Asta shattered, Xierra threaded through them and slashed down, held back by a wall of ice, separating her from the other side.

She gritted her teeth, slowly finding the corners of her lips pulling upwards.

The experience felt familiar.

It was oddly... exhilarating.

Every vein in her sensed the excitement rushing through, even when her muscles screamed with flaring heat throughout her body.

—Astral Creation Magic: Gokō.

She pushed her sword down, splitting the wall of ice in two. The tip of her blade dug into the earth, creating a crack that lined between her and her enemies.

Her sword began to light, brightening from beneath the ground that swallowed its deforming figure. One by one, rays emerged from below. Its blinding rays spilled from the crack, making their way to the robed men's feet.

An eruption of flames trailed toward the men, casting their footing aflame. Xierra grinned, running away from the crack, and pulled her grimoire beside her. Her hand caught onto the backs of Magna and Asta's robes, dragging them with her before the explosions grew bigger and louder.

They watched the crimson sparks falling onto their robes, burning some into crisps and catching a few in ashes.

Asta deflected some of the stray sparks, quickly with his hands as he did so, safely shielding them from any oncoming harm from Xierra's spell.

Magna looked back, dumbfounded. "Did you know that was gonna happen?" Magna asked with a hushed voice, not wanting to make the villagers panic in response to whatever answer she had prepared.

Xierra blinked and stopped walking, letting their robes go. She glanced back, the grin on her face dimming ever-so-slightly. "Well," she began, trailing off with her thoughts into the distance, "yes, to some extent. Not all of the outcomes match my expectations. Although it isn't perfect, it's something to work with."

The way her smile reached her eyes calmed them.

Her stance remained vigilant, but the tenderness in the way she spoke kissed their minds with assurance—something they hadn't felt after the loss of someone.

Magna was lost for words. He gaped, trying to find the right words to respond, but nothing came out. He didn't want to believe that a girl younger than him managed to plan all this. It was extreme, yet executed near perfection. He knew that they weren't the perfect candidates to be testing such a plan with, but she used them anyway.

She used them, knowing they could do it.

She didn't communicate, she didn't tell them anything, yet everything fell into place like a puzzle piece, fitting snugly between others.